Paste screenshots and images into Confluence

Daniel Harrison October 16, 2011

Is there a plugin or some other neat way of pasting screenshots and images into the confluence 4 editor? Eg take screenshot, paste right into confluence. Would save a lot of mucking around and make documentation a pile easier.

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2011

I just did this today -

Pasted in a screenshot from my clipboard into a Comment in Confluence 4, on PC. Chrome Browser. Also works in pages. No special plugin required.

fwoon August 16, 2018

this is completely untrue...after 7years later...

tested in 6.8.10

You can copy from clipboard and paste in an edit page but saving the page will render it as a Broken Image.
This is evident in 6.8.1. Pretty sure 6.10 has the same results

See :

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-5587

Like Noumenon72 likes this
JD Santos March 11, 2019

This should not be an accepted answer because this repeatedly fails for me in Chrome. They must have had some special Chrome back in 2011. Weirdly enough this also doesn't work on the iOS app, it's the same issue where the image will appear in the edit window but not publish.

My documentation is heavily reliant on screenshots, it would be great if this worked consistently instead of manually uploading images.

Like # people like this
Kevin Suter April 6, 2020

Reason for images still getting shown as broken images in more recent Confluence versions is probably that an image gets pasted as web image by default if you copy it directly from the web and a lot of servers do not allow hotlinking of their content.

As a consequence, the image can't show up in view mode because the remote server detected the hotlinking and prevented the image from loading a second time.

7 votes
Ross Gerring December 1, 2017

I'm using the Cloud version of Atlassian, and I'm unable to cut and paste images into Confluence. Or rather, initially it appears I can: the pasted image appears in my article. But after I save the page, the image now shows as broken. If I save and then upload the image instead, then this works fine, but of course much slower.

I'm using the latest Chrome browser on a Windows 10 PC.

There is a help article here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/when-pasting-an-image-into-the-editor-the-image-is-not-attached-correctly-757729008.html

The article above says to check this:

1. Log into Confluence as an Administrator
  2. Click "Manage Add-ons"
  3. In the drop down menu, select "System Addons"
  4. Search for the "Confluence Drag and Drop" plugin
  5. Click on the plugin to expand its controls, and click "Enable"

I've checked the above, and everything looks fine:

Version:
1000.0.0-39ecb167576
Vendor:
Atlassian
Add-on key:
com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.drag-and-drop
29 of 29 modules enabled

I assume this is a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? It's pain to have to save then upload images first.

Thanks,

Ross

Marcus Reese February 26, 2018

Thanks Ross. I'm having a similar problem, so I upvoted your comment, but I'm guessing they'll want to discuss it separately rather than in this seven year old thread that is marked as solved.

Like Kurt Kunselman likes this
Rastislav Bostik September 16, 2019

Hi chaps, I'm experiencing the same issue.

Currently, I've got to save images locally and upload them manually into confluence prior to their insertion into confluence page - which is time-consuming workaround.

Has anyone found better and working solution or workaround please?

Like # people like this
2 votes
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2011

Pasting images from your clipboard into the editor only works in supported versions of Firefox and Chrome. It's not available in Safari or IE.

1 vote
Sasha Reminnyi March 15, 2017

Hi Daniel,

There is now add-on on Marketplace that allows to capture many screenshots, annotate them and publish as a KB article to Confluence. It's called StepShot

1 vote
Todd McKnight October 17, 2011

Have spent lots of time looking at options with this. I suggest Free Jing along with SnagIt (only if you need page scrolls) and then have the FTP code automatically upload.

You can capture not just webpages, but anything that is on yoru screen (word docs, PPT slides, etc). Then just

• CTRL+M
  • CTRL+V
  • Enter and it's there

SnagIt is only needed if you want to capture an image larger then your screen is displaying and Jing has simple annotation tools that get you 80%.

0 votes
Neil Monroe March 8, 2021

If not using any kind of add-on and the source material is in a web browser, copying of images can be done, but only one image at a time.

1. Select all of the content that needs to appear in the new page
  2. Paste into the new page (placeholders will appear for the images, but will appear as broken.)
  3. Right-click each image from the source, "Copy Image" (or similar - not "Copy Location")
  4. Select the corresponding image in Confluence and paste the content - the image should upload in-place

In my use case, I was trying to copy a Jira ticket to Confluence. This is still a bit annoying to have to do if you have a lot of images.

I would look into some of the other options from other users in this thread, if you find that you need to do something like this on a more regular basis.

0 votes
shg047 December 26, 2020

I find the solution: 

1, don't use copy and paste from the web page directly. 

2, use snipping tool, capture the image and then paste to confluence. 

Done!!

0 votes
Felipe Alvarez June 26, 2012

What browsers (are/are not) supported?

0 votes
Daniel Harrison October 17, 2011

Yeah i was using safari on the mac. I'll go for chrome next time i need this.

0 votes
Daniel Harrison October 17, 2011

Would be good to get safari working though.

0 votes
Mark Hrynczak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2011
0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 16, 2011
PC, Mac or *nix?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events