Pages imported from Word are not included in Page properties report macro results

Mark Timperley December 2, 2022

I imported several pages from a Word document, then I added a tag/label to those pages.  I add a "Page properties report" macro with that same tag as a Label to display a list of these pages on another page. The imported pages are not listed after refresh. Only the pages I create directly in Confluence with this tag/label show up in the list generated by the "Page properties report" macro. Both the imported pages and the manually created pages are at the same location. How can I fix this?

Update: Trying a few things... if I create a copy of any of the pages imported from Word, still they don't show up in the list. If I create a copy of any page created manually, they do show in the list (all with the same labels).

Update 2: The manually created pages contain the Page Properties macro, while the imported pages just contain a table that looks exactly like the Page Properties. So that explains it. I guess I'm using the wrong macro to query for a list of pages and display their properites? Or is there a way to convert the tables in the Word imported pages to Properties?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2022

Hi @Mark Timperley ,

the Page Properties Report Macro indeed needs both elements to display data from pages: the label and the Page Properties Macro wrapping the table with the data.

Since there's no obvious way to implement the Page Properties Macro in MS Word, you'd have to add it manually after the import.

Out of curiosity, if the table data is to be used later in the page properties report, why isn't the page content created in Confluence in the first place?

Kind regards,

Nicolai

Mark Timperley December 5, 2022

Thank you for the answer.

To answer your question: The word document contains data tables exported from another application. Each heading section of the word document contains a table (100's of sections, one table per section). We import to Confluence since we want to use it to formalize/automate/manage the process of updating the data in the tables (doing that in a word document is unworkable).

However, the data starts out in a custom xml file. The only reason it is in a word document is for importing into Confluence (had to write a script to extract the data and save as markdown, then converted markdown to word, omg...). Is there a way to import directly from an xml file, and also set a Page Properties Macro for each table?

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

This is beyond my knowledge and experience, to be honest.
However, if I were researching for this use case, I would take a slightly different approach: "How can I automatically update my table data on an existing Confluence page through an external data source?" (You'd spare the aspect of setting a Confluence macro outside Confluence, which might be quite tricky.)

Mark Timperley December 6, 2022

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'm definitely open to other ways to solve this problem. Also looking into REST API (which I think is your suggestion here), xml backup/restore and 3rd party plugins. However, REST API access requires admin support I don't have at the moment.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2022

Hi @Mark Timperley, and welcome to the community,

You have to make sure to add the table inside a page property macro. Otherwise, it does not work. And you cannot automatically convert it. The table was imported correctly but the macro has to be added as well.

Best, Max

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2022

Hi @Mark Timperley ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

If you are on a server/data center instance, please try to reindex your contents through the following operation https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/content-index-administration-148844.html

Please let me know.

Fabio

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events