Page restriction not getting inherited

Michael Kobert March 24, 2022

Hello Community,

I have an issue with the confluence page restrictions.
On https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html it states:

• If you restrict viewing to a person or group, only they will be able to see that page and all its child pages (unless there are further restrictions on the child pages).
  • If you restrict editing to a person or group, they'll be able to see and edit that page, plus see its child pages.
  • Parent pages (higher up in the page hierarchy) can have their own view restrictions that may prevent people from viewing your page.

In my case, I have a team space that is open to everyone in the company.
The space consists of two main pages (Intern & Extern) with multiple sub pages.

Intern should be visible to everyone and only team members can edit as well.

2022-03-24 11_30_15-Window.png

Extern has no restrictions. (everyone is welcomed to view and edit)

I would expect, that every sub page of Intern inherits the restrictions I made.
However, colleagues, which are not part of the team are able to edit sub pages.

2022-03-24 11_33_45-Window.png

This screenshot is from on of the sub pages of Intern. Therefore all colleagues are able to edit ☹

I checked the Restricted Pages of the space.

2022-03-24 11_36_23-Window.png

Why is it not working? Am I blind or missing something?

Best regards

Micha

2 answers

0 votes
Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

If you're saying what I think you're saying I've got bad news for you.  Edit restrictions aren't inherited / don't cascade[1].

View restrictions are inherited, which means a restriction applied to one page will cascade down to any child pages. Edit restrictions are not inherited, which means pages need to be restricted individually.

Not sure what hosting you're on but there is a relatively inexpensive plugin that seeks to solve this[2].

[1] https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

[2] https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221313/edit-permission-inheritance?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Marcel Braun May 23, 2022

In my opinion, this doesn't seem entirely logical.

I have a page and I want to protect the content... In my opinion, then the cascaded content should also be protected.

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2022

Hi Micha,

If you go to the Content Tools, and the page tree, are the pages properly nested underneath the top level pages they should be inheriting from? If not I would re-nest those pages.

If they are then try to un-nest them and re-nest them for the permissions to apply again.

If that doesn't work what version of Confluence are you on? You may also want to look at the backend logs. If you aren't the admin you would want to partner with the system admin for them to look at what errors Confluence is throwing out.

Best,
Clark

Michael Kobert March 25, 2022

Hi Clark,

I just tried to re-nest and unnest/nest the pages - without success 😔

We are currently on version 7.13.5.

I will talk to my colleagues to check the backend logs and see if anything is shown there.

Best regards

Micha

Marcel Braun March 31, 2022

Hello Clark Everson,

nesting is no problem. The sites are nested correctly.

Could you please add a hint, where to find the expected log entries? Our Confluence has many projects. The logs are very large....

Thanks and best regards
Marcel

Michael Kobert April 5, 2022

Hi @Clark Everson any update/idea from you or anyone else?

Best regards

Micha

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2022

I’m not too familiar with the logs directly 

hopefully someone else can chime in

Marcel Braun May 23, 2022

Can anybody else give some hints?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events