Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page properties report not returning column data

Tom U. May 6, 2021

I am using the page properties and page properties report macro but it is not returning data as expected. I have done the same thing previously on Confluence Server and it worked fine.

I have several pages with a table inside the page properties macro. They have a label assigned. 

1.PNG

(there is plain text data in the lower rows, e.g. Approved scope, in case that isn't clear!)

My parent page has the page properties report macro where it does return the title of the page successfully, but nothing else - despite the column names (that I want to show) matching. 

2.PNG

4.PNG

The result is the same in the published page as well:

3.PNG

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

11 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Raquel Velez November 18, 2022

I came across this issue yesterday, and in order to fix it i had to ensure none of the table options were selected. Once i did that, the results i was expecting were displayed on the page properties report. Hope this helps!

confluence.png

Bela Gangal January 25, 2023

Helped a lot! Thanks!

Like Raquel Velez likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2021

Hi @Tom U. ,

What happens if you remove all text from the "Columns to show" macro parameter? 

Could you also provide the exact "Columns to show" text as well as the column names in the table? With that I will try to reproduce the issue and hopefully find the root cause. 

Regards,
Alex K (Developer at Atlassian)

Andreas November 16, 2021

@Alex K  removing all text from the "Columns to show" macro parameter did not help. Still the same issue.

Like Jeremy Hulette likes this
Tom U. December 31, 2021

If I remove all text from "columns to show" indeed I get something, but it's not very useful as it just returns two extra columns, one showing the title a second time and one showing Item > Name.

Like Andreas likes this
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2022

Hi @Tom U. , @Andreas , @Chris Buzon 

I'm unable to reproduce this myself. I can somewhat reproduce it by adding hidden formatting to the headings in the Page Property table (e.g. adding an extra space) - then the selected "columns to show" don't match. 

Looking at the image you shared above, when removing the "columns to show" parameter, you see incorrect headings (referring to this image ↴)

table1.PNG

This indicates incorrectly stored table formatting, where multiple rows/columns are marked as "table headings". It is vital that only one row or column is a heading within the Page Property table. It's odd because the page is only showing one table header  column, but there may be underlying corruption.

Does this happen when you create a brand new table from scratch? Does this happen if you create the table using the heading row rather than the heading column? 

We can check if your page has invalid table formatting by inspecting the storage format of the page - however this is somewhat technical/complex and it would be best if you could raise this with Atlassian Support and directly mention this thread and me in the support request, so that I can check this. Otherwise, you can email me at alex.dev.support@atlassian.com with the storage format of the page.

The storage format can be obtained if you're an admin from the UI using (More actions → Advanced details → View Storage Format):

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 12.05.57 pm.png

Or by putting the following address in your browser, substituting your site name and page id (id can be found in page url, like: /pages/_PAGE_ID_/Page+Name)

https://SITE_NAME.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content/PAGE_ID?expand=body.storage

We will be looking at the <th> cells in the table formatting to see if there are multiple heading rows/columns. 

Regards,
Alex K (Developer at Atlassian)

4 votes
Ann Maria T K September 16, 2021

Has anyone here found a solution to this?? I am facing the exact same issue with our confluence instance as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 vote
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

@Tom U. I have seen similar strange and frustrating behavior in both data center and Cloud. It seems the Page Properties Report macro really doesn't like it when there's anything other than plain text in the table cells. :-( 

This is frustrating one of our teams; they are putting the Status macro in a field like you are. I have also seen the behavior when the column names (such as Service status in your example) are hyperlinked to other pages.

What's even more frustrating is that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and I haven't been able to find what the difference is when the report simply won't show what's in the table cell.

Tom U. May 13, 2021

OK thanks... Hopefully it can be fixed at some point. 

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
1 vote
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

Hey @Alex K - I'm seeing this exact behavior on my company's production instance as well.  I'm one of the Community leaders, so if you would like I can probably set something up on the community AC sandbox instance to check out, if you'd like

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2021

It appears that macros are usually causing the problem, it's like a nasty off-by-one error, combined with a macro causing the subsequent cells to either not render, or rending as titles, or cause the report to generate-and-refresh-and-regenerate forever.

If you make a table with the properties macro and only use plain text - it works for 3 key/value pairs, but more than that don't seem to render.  If you swap to horizontal tables, you get strange behavior with the headers/titles.

Tom U. May 13, 2021

Thanks, Chris. 

It works so well in Server though, so I'm surprised the same thing is so buggy in Cloud. 

Like Chris Buzon likes this
0 votes
Micheal Planck March 7, 2024

The bug is back!

Yesterday I had two page reports, each reporting different fields from the same set of page properties. It was excellent.

Today I have two tables of random garbage. I changed nothing; Atlassian just re-introduced this bug overnight.

0 votes
Rebecca Cengiz-Robbs February 23, 2023

I created a template with a table inside a Page Properties macro, used to populate a report on another page.  I used this template to create ~ 20 pages.  I noticed that all properties returned a value on the report, except for one.  Every page created with the template did not display the "Priority" value.  Thanks to this thread and all the comments and suggestions, this is what I did:  On a page created with the template, I deleted the "Priority" column, inserted a new column and named it Priority.  I added the status macro in the field and saved it.  The new Priority column returned the status value on the report.  I had to fix this on every page, plus I updated the template I created.  Just want to share what worked for me.

0 votes
Jessica Lawson September 22, 2021

Glad to find this. I had been spending so much time trying to fix the issue. at least on my end I do see all the date IF i dont put the info in "columns to show section" 

Bela Gangal January 25, 2023

Thanks very much! This was very helpful!

0 votes
Tom U. May 27, 2021

Any thoughts on my last comment please, anyone?

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2021

I am seeing the same thing sometimes.  It is not consistent behavior - I can get plain text to work, but if there are any widgets or hyperlinks in any of the cells, then I lose most of the data and almost nothing renders.

Tom U. June 3, 2021

I've recreated the page properties macro and now I can get some data, even macros e.g. statuses, but now they are appearing in the wrong columns. Strangely plain text data is not appearing at all.

Is there now way to contact support/product engineers to get this bug rectified?

Thanks

Like Pedro Pontes likes this
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2021

Doubtful - They're aware - there is an Atlassian Engineer in this thread further up (Alex K) - there are additional threads on this issue too.

It's just a thing that will have to go through their normal product cycle. 

0 votes
Tom U. May 24, 2021

Hi all, I'd like to confirm that even after changing the table rows to plain text, I still see no results  in my page properties report.

Can anyone confirm/replicate that?

Thanks 

0 votes
Tom U. May 7, 2021

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. With the columns to show empty, I see the wrong things in the wrong places:

table1.PNG

The table names are:

table2.PNG

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events