Page Tree navigation question - need to exclude a level from live-linking

Stockman, Thomas April 11, 2022

We wish to use Confluence as the runbook repository for our IT incident response team. Page Tree Macro looks pretty good, it gives me expandable/collapsible navigation & a way to limit keyword search to only the "Runbook Root" level & down.

So (example, see bottom of this question) I'll use Root level for the TOC / Page Tree Index, the first level of child pages as Categories, the second level as the Runbooks. Set Depth to "1" so initial page view shows just the Root & the Categories, the user hits either Expand All or expands just the category they want.

Here's my question: Can I somehow make the middle "Category" level unselectable - so users only can land on & view the ROOT level, or the RUNBOOK level - so that middle level only exists for visual navigtion guide on the ROOT page - but no one actually can get to those pages? Can I get at the macro code & customize it, if that's needed? (btw I'd likely have to clone a copy, others in the company use Page Tree so I'd need to not affect them.)

Example

+-- (ROOT) Page Tree Index Page for Runbooks
+-- New Unfiled Runbooks <= non-linkable
+-- (RUNBOOK) CRM Says Oracle Duplicate Record Title
+-- (RUNBOOK) Timeout API Call to Address Scrub
+-- CRM App Errors <= non-linkable
+-- (RUNBOOK) Unable To Auth CRM
+-- (RUNBOOK) CRM Unable to Connect
+-- (RUNBOOK) Zip Code Rejected in CRM
+-- Middleware Errors <= non-linkable
+-- (RUNBOOK) 500 Internal Server Error
+-- (RUNBOOK) Unable To Connect to Backend