cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Export with Vector Images

Scott Selberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

Hi All,

We currently are producing documentation with vector diagrams using Framemaker.  When searching for terms in the resulting pdf, the text in the diagrams can be found.  Also, when zooming in, the diagrams retain their sharpness.  

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to have Confluence embed a vector format image (svg, gliffy, pdf, ai ) into the exported PDF file.  Does anybody have any insight into this problem?

-Scott

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2016

Well being a decade-long user of FrameMaker, and Illustrator, I know of no way to do what you want. The workflow I have adopted is the create the drawings in Illustrator, then export to PNG and attach/embed that file in Confluence. The I use Scroll PDF to generate the PDF. The results are "acceptable" I would say.

Generally, I think you can get 80 to 90% of the quality in a PDF using Confluence and Scroll, but you have to know a lot about CSS and Velocity to get things to work properly. AND I would only go this route if online is your primary doc delivery method with PDFs as a nicety. If quality of the final PDF is a must-have, then you will probably be disappointed.

That being said, I am a huge advocate for using Confluence due to the speed of collaboration, content reuse, and general speed of content development (not to mention you can create an automated workflow).

Scott Selberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2016

Thanks for your reply!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events