PDF Export Cutting off Long Table

Joe Hasty May 9, 2023

When exporting a Confluence page with a very long table (170+ rows), the last few rows are cut off from the export. 

Here's the Confluence page:

2023-05-09_10-51-07.png

And here's the PDF export of the page:

2023-05-09_10-50-03.png

Is this a formatting issue with the page? A bug in export?

Do I need to be doing something with my export template?

Thanks,

Joe.

6 answers

2 votes
Wayne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2023

I have selected wide format on my table and have 80 rows. While exporting, I get cut-off at exactly row 67. I have added and subtracted rows around that row but have the same results as everyone else - the export to PDF fails. The word export almost works, but Word doc cuts the right columns off and are no longer visible.

I saw several times on this page to select "This affects my team" but I could not find the link.

carl savage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 30, 2023

See the mention below:

• CONFCLOUD-75799 New PDF Export cuts off table for pages with multiple lengthy tables`2023-05-30_12-58-57.png
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2023

Hello everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to Atlassian Community. If your tables are being cut off and they're long, it's likely the cause of this bug:

• CONFCLOUD-75799 New PDF Export cuts off table for pages with multiple lengthy tables

Please click This affects my team and watch it for future updates. 

Note that if your table is cut off and it's wide and not long, this is a separate issue. Have a look at Wide tables may be cut off in PDF export for further details.

Thanks again, and feel free to contact us at Confluence Cloud support if you need additional assistance.

Shannon S | Atlassian Community support

Jeff Jones
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2023

Does not work.  Table is still cutoff.

Like Joe Hasty likes this
Michael Milano June 18, 2023

Still same problem and getting worse. Come on. Fix it already. Every other software that we use does it right. 

1.png

1 vote
arnav_miniOrange May 11, 2023

Hello Joe,

I understand the trouble you are experiencing with the in-built export function. However, I have a solution for you that will help.

The miniOrange Page Exporter offers a landscape orientation feature that covers the entire table in the exported PDF. In addition, the miniOrange Page Exporter includes many game-changing features, such as:

• Exporting Confluence pages into PDF, Word, or HTML format 
  • Sharing documents via email or Google Drive 
  • Selecting which fields to export, such as page title, page creator, comments, and more 
  • Adding custom header/footer and watermark 
  • Many more!

As a Top Vendor on the Atlassian Marketplace, we are confident that the miniOrange Page Exporter will meet your needs.

I'm happy to inform you that we offer a free version for up to 10 users!

Please feel free to contact us at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com to schedule a free demo. Thank you for considering our solution.

Best regards,

Arnav Ghatage

Kate Moran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 11, 2023

Hi,

MANY companies restrict the downloading and use of apps on work computers/networks due to the massive security risks around allowing staff members to simply download apps and plug-ins onto a secured network. For a corporate tool, this cannot be considered an answer.

This isn't anything to do with the width of the table, this is cutting the table length off at an arbitrary place, so I don't know why putting the table in 'landscape' view would help with this. And if it does, why??

As far as looking for a fix is concerned, you might want to look into why exporting to 'Word' document format doesn't have the same issue, and if you view a previous 'version' of the Confluence page, and then "print to PDF" from that view, it works fine EXCEPT for the fact that you have the big box at the top asking if you want to revert to a previous version. So it works, but it's unprofessional and obviously can't be used for business purposes when sending to external parties. Exporting to word document looks horrific because of what it seems to do to fonts and tables, so that's also not a great solution either, or I'd simply do that then save the word doc in PDF format.

Relying on 3rd parties to fix basic functionality can't be considered an 'answer', and this functionality USED to work perfectly so it's worth looking at what you've changed in very recent times that has caused this issue.

Like # people like this
Mike Sullivan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 23, 2023

Kate, I have all the exact same issues. One additional not is that the export to pdf function used to take only a split second...now it is 5-10 seconds and missing content. Please Atlassian ( @Shannon S ) - fix this issue!!

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2023

In the 6/19 - 6/26 Cloud updates bulletin, there's a mention of 'Improved PDF Export' for Confluence Cloud.  You can read it here: Cloud Updates 

Joe Hasty June 27, 2023

And yet, the problem is not fully resolved. I supposed "improved" and not "fixed" is the right terminology... here's my example:

The Confluence web page view (end of table):

2023-06-27_11-46-54.png

And the subsequent PDF export (end of table):

2023-06-27_11-48-05.png

0 votes
Michael Milano June 18, 2023

Confluence claims to have 70,000 users. I assume they mean, companies and individuals alike. 

And this one feature is a headache for all of them. I worked at HP until recently, yep...same issue. PDF export is not possible. They have a team of people that rewrite the documents in 3rd party software and than exports it PDF...they can afford it. We can't. 

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Joe Hasty welcome to the Atlassian community.

I believe this might be a limitation to the native Confluence tool. I would say, please have a look at these market place plugins to assist with a full pdf export.

Joe Hasty May 9, 2023

Yikes. So I'll need to pay for a third party tool to simply export to a PDF? I appreciate the guidance but that's not really a solution. Atlassian needs to fix this basic functionality if this is truly a bug/limitation.

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Currently I couldn't think of the exact behaviour for not able to export entire pdf, but my response is a workaround for your immediate need. You "may" look for a plugin with free trial and give it a try. 

Meanwhile, let's hear from other community members for a solution.

Kate Moran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 10, 2023

I have exactly the same issue, very frustrating. Export to PDF is currently not working well (but I don't remember ever having issues like this in previous years) where tables are cut off part-way through like the screenshot above, but also images are showing halfway down a page for no particular reason so I'll see the heading, then half a page gap, then the image, then another half page gap, then the text continues. Does it some images, but not others, and doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason when it comes to image size.

Like # people like this
Jeff Jones
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 11, 2023

Same issue here.  Just started in the past week or so.  Very frustrating... had to completely rebuild the page eliminating tables which really detracts from what we are trying to display.  We export to PDF to send out to others to keep our site secure.  The response that we need to purchase a 3rd party tool is unacceptable.  Bad form Confluence!

Like # people like this
Joe Hasty May 12, 2023

Hey all, see above about the bug and click the "This affects my team" link, hopefully that'll get is resolved sooner!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events