Override image quality for PDF export

Timothée Evain March 29, 2021

Hello community,

I have issues obtaining decent image quality with the PDF export: images that are perfectly fine seen on Confluence are highly degraded in the PDF.

There is an older thread about this. Main takeaway is "get bigger images for good quality in PDF", but I already have quite big resolution images (~2200x1300px for example), that are degraded all the same. It would be great to be able to force a higher DPI on images during PDF export through stylesheet.
Something like:

img  
{  
dpi:300;

}  

This post reveals that Confluence uses FlyingSaucer + Itext under the hood to render PDFs, to get an idea at the possible customizations (~CSS 2.1). At least until 2018. But I failed finding something that works with my limited CSS knowledge.

Has anybody successfully adjusted PDF image quality recently?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Beren Baumgartner April 2, 2021

No sadly not. With the new editor at least. It's frustrating to a point where you give up (and that's with a paid product of this caliber and a problem that's not just around recently).

All what I found were just semi-workarounds that are really not that helpful if you dont want to manually tweak each image.

Would love to know if there's a install/space wide setup for this... like most other text software where you can just select the export quality (X% or low, med high) of images and their DPI (90, 300...).

Timothée Evain April 14, 2021

Definitely frustrating indeed. Having good image quality is really not too exotic... Export PDF is a feature barely functional as it, that's a pity (and Word export suffer the same drawback).

That's really astonishing to see basic issues like this lingering, and that's not the only one, making the overall Confluence experience painful.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events