Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overflooded Dashboard Problem

Alexander Schätzle October 9, 2014

Hello everybody,

in my company we are using Confluence for an international knowledge sharing tool.
The problem that we have is the high use of our employees. That means the dashboard of Confluence is permanent changing, especially under the section "All Updates".

I know that the users should regulate that via favoured Spaces or Pages, but even though for a lot of people it is difficult to be well-informed.

Do you have any experience which could help me?
I already thought about a kind of a filtering of the Spaces which are shown on Dashboard.
The main problem is for example if i would attach a lot of attachments. Then it looks like that:

image2014-10-9 18:4:49.png

For the user it would be enough if they just get displayed the update of the Page, not of all the attachements.
Can i influence that while I am creating a page for example? Because in another case it can be important that the users get displayed every attachement.

Thank you very much!

Greets Alex 

2 answers

1 vote
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2014

I worked in a 500-1,000 company which used Confluence intensively.

• It's correct to note that the "All Updates" tab is too much to watch. If you need to watch everything happening on your wiki, you may have an issue of centralization. When "All updates" is too much to watch, it's a very good sign: Your organization is moving to peer-to-peer collaboration in lieu of a centralized culture.
  • We used the "Popular" tab all the time.
    • It contains the most commented and liked content.
    • It's interesting to see that not only blog posts but also pages are displayed, so if the document of one department is heavily discussed within a team, it would sometimes appear in the Popular tab. It's a good thing because a long discussion is probably a big discussion that has a broader scope.
  • People would watch their own space and actors.
    • They would subscribe and get a small dozen of updates to read per day, which is easy enough to read (When Confluence is popular, you don't get any "unmanaged" emails - Every bit of information goes through Confluence and shared from there).
    • The first watchers create the first dozen "likes" which propel an article to the dashboard. Once on the dashboard, the whole company tends to read it and they jump to 200-400 likes.
    • Important articles are explicitly shared with a department/team via email using the "Share" button. Managers and team information always goes through this channel.

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2014

An Activity Stream Manager that could be personally modified per preferences is a good idea. :)
Would need to build a plugin for that - probably not that hard tho... depends on how complex you want to get.

Email info@appfusions.com if this is a really big deal to you. Happy to discuss to make it real.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events