Organising Clients and Projects in Confluence

We have around 20 staff with around 40 clients with multiple projects in most. We have just started using JIRA and Confluence which is just amazing.

How should we organise our clients and projects?

• Should we have a space for all clients and projects? or..

• A space for each client with project pages? or..

• A space for each project?

Any advice from seasoned users would be appreciated?

TIA :)

2 answers

You might want to check the latest Atlassian Confluence blog. There is a series on that question: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/08/create-confluence-space-team-project-part-2-2/
0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Aug 28, 2014

The way we are set up, each client gets a Confluence Space and a JIRA project. This ensure we can set broad permissions and restrict access easily in the administration panel. Each client also gets a Crowd user group.

Internally we use a few spaces in addition to this.

Thank you, but what if a client has multiple projects then inside your client space you end up with shortcuts to lots of requirements documents and files lists and meeting notes. Surely it's best to just have 1 space per project?

I see how that would make sense. I don't see an issue with that line of thinking, but we don't typically suffer from a deluge of documents like that. I also manually manage each space and ensure that only the shortcuts I want are avaliable and vice versa, which I see as easy since I've been doing it forever.

It sounds like you are in control! This is my first week with JIRA/Confluence and I am just about taming the beast. I still have lots of problems with permissions but I am sure we will get there. Thanks for your input :)

No problem! More than happy to help!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

356 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you