One space or many for a documentation intranet?

Steve Hastings October 8, 2018

hi there,

being new to Confluence I've been tasked to build a documentation intranet for a mid-sized client. They need documentation for several departments. Can anyone suggest please whether I should just make one space for this client with then just pages and child pages for each department; or should I create a space for each department of the client?

many thanks, steve

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

Yes, having set up more than one Confluence-based doc systems, I do recommend separate spaces for a couple of reasons:

• Reduces issues of page name collisions
  • Ability to set up different permission structures.
  • Makes the navigation less complex (with one large space, you can end up with very deep page hierarchies.

Thank you Bill. Much appreciated!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2018

Hi @Steve Hastings,

I also would recommend different spaces. It's easier to manage the overall structure with different spaces and you get less errors like "A page with this name already exists". 

Also, if you need different permissions per department, you also need different spaces.

Thank you Thomas for your advice!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

I would recommend 1 space per team/department.

Thank you Danyal!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events