Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official way to link to specific version of page?

Claes Jacobsson January 9, 2023

From a page I would like to link to a specific version of another page? Is there an official way of doing this? Also, is there a way to include the version number in the link?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hi @Claes Jacobsson 

Can I just confirm you're looking to:

• Add a link/URL to a Confluence page
  • Which links to a specific version of another page (not the current version)

---

You can just copy the URL of a previous version and place it in the other page - the version is then in the URL. To get this link:

• On the page which you want to link to, go to the breadcrumbs (3-dots icon) in the top-right
  • Select Page History
  • Select the Previous Version you wish to link to
  • Copy the URL - it should look something like: example.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12345&pageVersion=1 
  • Paste it into the other page which will have the URL on it

Note: The pasted link might become a smart link and no longer show the version - to show it as a URL:

• Select the hyperlink
  • On the pop-up box which appears, select to display the link as a URL (the left-hand button which looks like a single line)

---

Alternatively, an App might provide you some additional functionality, such as SoftComply Toolbox for Confluence, or another option from the Marketplace

Ste

Thanks!

If I install an app like SoftComply, do all team members need to install it to view pages using it or just if they want to create links to a specific version of a page?

Matteo Gubellini _SoftComply_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2023

Hello @Claes Jacobsson ,

You need to install an App only once in an instance, then all users will have access to it.

Matteo

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hi @Claes Jacobsson 

Matteo is correct - once the App is installed, all users will be able to access its functionality.

This is because Apps in Confluence are per instance, not per user. So for paid Apps, you'd have to purchase a pricing tier which includes the maximum number of users on your site.

Currently though, SoftComply Toolbox for Confluence is a free App :)

For more information on how pricing works for Apps, see this FAQ: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/marketplace#which-license-do-i-choose-when-purchasing-an-app

Ste

Ok, great. Thanks!

1 vote
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

Hi @Claes Jacobsson welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Only the latest published version is available for public.

You can show a direct link to a version by appending &pageVersion=n to the page URL where n is the version number.

Why would you want to refer to an older version of a page?

Unfortunately, Scroll Versions for Confluence (K15t) is not yet available for Cloud if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks!

Quite often we need to refer to a specific version of a document to be able to trace our work. Say for example we have a meeting where we make decisions based on the contents of other pages. If the other pages changes after the decisions are made it might be very hard to trace our work/decisions afterwards. So, sometimes we want to be able to create a "snapshot" of what our documentation looked liked at the point of a release/decision etc. 

I realise there are other tools better suited for this, but for now we want to keep it simple and it would be great to accomplish it within Confluence.

Scroll Versions looks really cool! :-) 

David (K15t) January 9, 2023

Hey @Claes Jacobsson and @Dave Mathijs

This is David from K15t, I saw the mention of Scroll Versions and Confluence Cloud and wanted to let you know about Scroll Documents, which is our reboot of Scroll Versions available for Confluence Cloud.

So, sometimes we want to be able to create a "snapshot" of what our documentation looked liked at the point of a release/decision etc. 

Scroll Documents' versioning approach does exactly that – whenever a page tree is in a state that you would like to fall back to later, you save a version. This essentially snapshots the page tree and stores it in the space, so it can be read or even edited independently of the current state of the working version.

You can learn more about versioning in this article.

Cheers,

David

Like # people like this
Claes Jacobsson January 10, 2023

Thanks David! I'll look into Scroll Documents.

Claes

Claes Jacobsson January 10, 2023

Hello again David,

Once I have saved a version of my documentation with Scroll Documents, is it possible to lock it down to prevent anyone from changing it after a certain point? 

Kind regards,

Claes

David (K15t) January 11, 2023

Hey @Claes Jacobsson 

yes, this is possible. Each version's restrictions can be managed in bulk in Scroll Documents. You can learn more about setting restrictions in our documentation.

Cheers,

David

Claes Jacobsson January 11, 2023

Ok thanks! Does that require a specific plan in Confluence?

David (K15t) January 12, 2023

In fact it does, sorry for failing to mention this. As we're using Confluence restrictions here, this feature needs to be active in your instance. I believe this requires at leas a standard plan of Confluence, so a free plan won't do.

Cheers,

David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events