Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

OKTA - Basic Authentication Failure - Reason : AUTHENTICATED_FAILED

Hi,

We use OKTA for SSO. So far I am logging into OKTA no problem with CURL and getting the Token back. Now I am not sure when I use basic authentication for confluence if I use:

username:oktatoken or username:password

naturally these are both base64_encoded.

It seems if I use either combination that I get the 401 error.

1 answer

I've been dealing with this too, and I'm just as stumped.

The only workaround that I've found so far has been to steal a JSESSIONID cookie from my browser and add it as an HTTP header to the request in curl as a cookie header. e.g.

curl --header "cookie: JSESSIONID=ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP;" https://confluence.company.com

I thought at first that the old X-Atlassian-token: no-check header would work, but that doesn't appear to cut it either.

Generating my own JSESSIONID from a prior HTTP request hasn't worked for me so far, even though a response to the Confluence base URL with basic authentication headers does include a JSESSIONID set-cookie in the response headers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,656 views 7 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you