Numbered list in confluence

Lea Köhler September 20, 2021

I could find any solution after searching and reading diverse blogs, could you please help me - what I can do in Confluence Cloud? Is there any solution?

I hope someone will have a solution for my numbered list issue.

Here is what I want to do when writing steps in a user guide:

1. do this step 1

2. do this step 2

3. do this step 3

[I put image/table/note... here]

4. do this step 4

5. do this step 5

But that's what I get in Confluence: 

1. do this step 1

2. do this step 2

3. do this step 3

[I put image/table/note... here]

1. do this step 4

2. do this step 5

So, how can I have a numbered list with "personalized start number" if you can see what I mean?

Thanks a lot!

8 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Suvarna Gaikwad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2021

@Lea Köhler try to adjust indention of image just below content of 3rd point. You may have to use right indent

Hi @Suvarna Gaikwad this works and how is it with tables? There it does not work unfortunately.

Suvarna Gaikwad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2021

@Lea Köhler Glad it worked. It should be similar to tables as well. Please make sure your indentation is fine just below content of particular number and not number. You may try to add empty line in between as well.

Also if your original question is answered, can you kindly accept it as answer? Thank you!

Unfortunatelly it doesn't work. Do you have any other idea?

Suvarna Gaikwad
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

@Lea Köhler unfortunately it is not working for tables as setting custom width for table is not available in confluence cloud. please see here 

Thank you so much @Suvarna Gaikwad !!!!

Nicholas Wade January 26, 2022

It does not work for tables or note macros because Confluence is run by developers ... 

nb: In the end, the only way to put a table in a numbered list is to pull up PowerPoint, create your table, copy it, past it back in PowerPoint as a picture, copy it and then paste it in the numbered list following a soft return.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2022

Well it is more a limitation of HTML and CSS. They would need to add a function to allow numbering to be reset. And the issue comes down to how many more  $$ would they get for this feature (which few find exciting).

Like Lihao Yeong likes this
Nicholas Wade January 27, 2022

You are right - it's not exciting, but it is a basic, primary function of any editor I know of. I seem to remember that at one time we could edit the CSS directly so change the number there - now you need to buy another editor to do that (and I can't believe that a macro to change a value in the CSS would amount to more than a few minutes work during your coffee break. There's just no logic to the ham-fisted approach to Confluence. Look at some of the macros - great ideas, lousy implementation. 

And on a final note: take a look at https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_gen_counter-reset.asp or https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54438188/how-to-reset-ordered-list-numbering-in-css Both show simple examples of programming this in. It's not rocket science.

Nicholas Wade February 23, 2022

Once a response has been flagged as accepted (as in this case) is it then ignored by Atlassian - even when it is wrong? That green 'Accepted' flag should be removed - it's wrong, there is no answer that resolves Confluence Cloud numbering.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2022

Hello everyone, and thank you for raising this.

We currently have two open feature requests for this functionality. The first is for continuous numbering across the overall page, and the second is for continuous numbering across layouts:

• CONFCLOUD-7794 Implement a feature that allows to continue numbering on numbered lists
  • CONFCLOUD-70868 Continuous numbered list between layouts

Please add your votes and feedback on those tickets, and our product team will see them. I hope we can see a resolution soon! Please visit the Implementation of New Features policy to learn more about how we prioritize our feature requests.

Take care,

Shannon | Atlassian Community Support

Nicholas Wade March 4, 2022

Okay, so I've just noticed that its about our 'little talk' - jolly good - thank you

Feature request: Allow numbered lists to continue either side of an info/macro

Nicholas Wade April 19, 2022

14/04/2022 - Hi everyone - I’m a Divya Sriram, a PM on the Confluence team.

Solving continuous numbering on numbered lists is on our priority list. Currently, we are focused on critical work to improve table formatting and performance for Confluence Cloud pages - problems that are also affecting a very broad pool of users.

We hope to start working on this soon and acknowledge that the delay on implementing this feature is frustrating for many of you. We will keep you updated on our progress on this ticket here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-7794

Thank you,

Divya

yippee.jpg

We await the resolution.... nb: Don't see any change in the ticket status... still in 'gathering interest'???????? 

1 vote
Divya Sriram
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2022

Hi everyone - I’m a Divya Sriram, a PM on the Confluence team.

Solving continuous numbering on numbered lists is on our priority list. Currently, we are focused on critical work to improve table formatting and performance for Confluence Cloud pages - problems that are also affecting a very broad pool of users.

We hope to start working on this soon and acknowledge that the delay on implementing this feature is frustrating for many of you. We will keep you updated on our progress on this ticket here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-7794

Thank you,

Divya

1 vote
James Lowe February 23, 2022

@Bill Baileyand @Suvarna Gaikwad as community leaders see see https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Feature-request-Allow-numbered-lists-to-continue-either-side-of/qaq-p/1810942?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_reply&utm_content=topic

How do we actually get someone to 'engage' (is that the right term I need to use here? or is it 'reach out') rather that the feeling that we're just P**sing in the wind and noone who matters is taking any notice here.

Anyone can create a webpage and let people post stuff.

It's be nice if someone who matters actually replied or acknowledged the problem here or in the link above

Nicholas Wade February 23, 2022

That's the trouble with the present system. Currently, there are a number of requests out there but nobody takes any notice of them because each request is treated separately (so has a low like count) and any user automatically thinks the matter has been reported so why bother themselves?

The fact is, this is an incredibly important requirement (not a feature request) for a basic but profoundly impacting activity - to be able to continue numbering in a list after adding certain elements in the list. I've got a complex AWS and Data Center development and support department with pages of instructions that just look like garbage as a result of not being able to provide logically ordered procedures.

Frankly it is mind-blowing that Confluence is considered a commercial offering at all. You might just as well use Notepad. And this goes further, the Apps that come with Confluence for free, are simply Christmas baubles. The mantra at Atlassian seems to be "Stuff the customer - We know best". 

0 votes
Navira Zainab January 30, 2023

I had the same querry. couldn;t find how to show nested number list on confluence. How to edit the workflow?
Heading

then subheadings?

0 votes
Nicholas Wade March 7, 2022

Doing a search on "Numbered Lists" and the top 4 for views:

NRLST.png

0 votes
Nicholas Wade January 17, 2022

Amazing how Atlassian can flog a product that can't even produce a continued numbered list... and I see that yes, the Note macro also scrambles up the list sequence... 

In the end, the only way to put a table in a numbered list is to pull up PowerPoint, create your table, copy it, past it back in PowerPoint as a picture, copy it and then paste it in the numbered list following a soft return.

Pathetic... really... really pathetic.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2021

With ordered lists, you can insert non-list items in the list by using a soft return (Shift + Return) at the end of list item before the content you want to insert, followed by a hard return.

Olivier Dupré October 14, 2021

But this makes *non-list items* indented.

And if you have several level of indentation in your list, the *non-list items* will be intensively indented.

eg:
1. Foo

a. Bar
    1. Foo2
        *non-list items* indented.
2. Bar2

While I would like:

1. Foo

a. Bar
    1. Foo2
*non-list items* indented.
2. Bar2

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2022

On server, I solved this with custom CSS. But that is not an option on Cloud

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events