Notification via email or in app notification for license expiration

Andrew Do March 19, 2021

Hi,

I noticed that when logged in as admin, I saw that our support licensed expired.  We have auto renewal but somehow the email was missed.  We only noticed this since we were logged in as admin but we don't use admin that often.  Is there a way to set up in app license expiration when regular user log in or can we set up email notification to tell us our license expired?

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Andrew Do

I saw two approaches in the past:

- coding an own solution using API gathering license details:
https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/license-api-for-server-apps/

Doing so you could extract the data like you want and process it further - on an external system for doing a reminder mechanism of your choice.

- setup of a Jira project with Due Dates and a filter signalizing a nearing date when license renewals are needed (each issue = one license you have, f.e. for Confluence or an App)

The discussed option of the reminder mail is also common. Personally for me it suffices to have a reminder in Outlook for two distinct license renewal dates throughout the year.
The specific license reminder for non-admin users is not possible as far as I know - judging from a userbase I am familiar with there would be a lot of complaints as questions on what they are seeing in this message anyways.

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Andrew Do March 20, 2021

Hi, I understand how to apply a license.  What I am asking is there a way to be notified by email or in app that license expired.  Like I mention, the expired license notice was display in the console when I logged in as admin but not as my regular non admin account.  Why does it display in admin account but not in regular user?  I don’t use admin account unless I have to for configuration/admin purpose.

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

While not an automated method, if you work with an Atlassian Partner like us, we help manage and monitor this for our customers. One of the things we do to help make this easier is co-term your licenses so there is only one renewal a year you need to worry about. Feel free to book a call if you need more info.

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2021

Hi @Andrew Do ,

I've had a look at your account and see the auto-renewal processed successfully. You should be able to access your current Confluence Server license at my.atlassian.com and then paste the most recent license into Confluence:

1. Go to  > General Configuration > License Details
  2. Enter your new license in the License field.
  3. Choose Save.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that we announced a few months ago that our Server products will no longer receive support after February 2024. That's still 3 years away, but worth being aware of and planning for. Given the size of your current license, Confluence Cloud would likely be what you'll want to look at. The auto-renewal for your current license will continue working, and the license is perpetual of course so you can continue using Confluence Server even after the support maintenance has ended.

Let me know if you have any questions! The message in Confluence will go away once you apply your current license.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events