Not getting any email notifications despite everything being enabled

Teodor Iliev April 6, 2021

Hey, so as the title says for roughly 20 days now I am not getting any notifications from Confluence Cloud. The details are:

1. I have checked my quarantine list and spam folder
  2. I have tried signing out and back in (we are using Okta SSO login)
  3. I checked the email notification configuration and I still have everything enabled e.g. I am watching entire spaces (even though I am not getting notifications for email mentions)
  4. Other people from our organization (@tide.co) have reported experiencing the same problem. Not everyone though, some say things are working just fine
  5. I can see the notifications in the notification bell menu
  6. Right around the time I stopped receiving notifications we had a massive SSO outage triggered by our user directory getting desync'd with Okta which in turn started deprovisioning all user accounts. This was quickly resolved and we pretty much only had to reset out password to reactivate our accounts, so I am not sure if it's related, but the timing is suspicious

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks a lot in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2021

Hi @Teodor Iliev ,

Since March 15, our email delivery service has put a hold on deliveries to your email account as it received multiple errors from your mail server:

550: 550 [internal] [oob] The recipient is invalid.

This might have been a temporary problem with your organization's mail server that day - our mail service pauses delivery when we get these kinds of errors to prevent abuse of our mail service, to keep our domains in good standing with spam detection services, and to keep from overwhelming a potentially misconfigured email server with delivery attempts.

I've cleared out the pause on your account, and am also clearing pauses for other folks in your organization (you noted that some other people had trouble as well, and a look through our mail logs confirmed you weren't the only person who had a pause on email delivery). I would follow up with your email server administrator if possible - something clearly happened on March 15 which caused many folks at your organization to wind up on the pause list.

If anyone at your organization continues to have trouble with email notifications after today, please have them contact support either at support.atlassian.com/contact or by creating a new question here on Community and mentioning they are having email delivery issues.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support 

Teodor Iliev April 7, 2021

Everything is working great again! Thanks a lot, Daniel!

Yes, this appears to be related to our SSO outage, I will forward this thread to our IT team!

Thanks a ton again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events