Not able to find the space after uploading and restoring a Confluence space

Sumit Bandopadhaya August 7, 2017

Hi,

I uploaded and restored a Confluence space from Production environment of Wiki version 5.0.3 to Quality environment of Wiki version 5.0.3. The import worked just fine (100% and complete). But I am not able to find the space from the application.

I tried flushing the cache, but No changes!

I followed the procedure to import the space is:

1. Go to  > General Configuration > Backup and Restore
  2. Click Choose File and browse for your space export file.
  3. Uncheck Build Index if you want to create the index at a later stage.
  4. Choose Upload and Restore

Still I am not able to see the space in application.

Please advise.

Thank you,

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

One thing you also might want to consider (that we ran into while doing a migration): sometimes the permission scheme of an imported space does not have the necessary permissions set. Therefore, the only way to find the space is to log in with a user who is a member of the "confluence-administrators" group. Then you can set the proper permissions and the space will be visible.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2017

Hi Sumit, 

To hop onto Stephen's answer, if you're an administrator you can Recover Space Permissions by going to the Space Permissions within Confluence. This way you'll be able to see any you don't currently have access to see in the list of spaces.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Like # people like this
Sumit Bandopadhaya August 9, 2017

Hi Shannon,

I had migrated the Wiki Space from production environment to Quality environment. After building the index, I can see all the spaces which I have migrated but regarding the permissions, I cannot see the owner of the space and the users of the space.

We have 2 groups for the spaces like Owner group and also Users group for the related spaces. I am not able to see the groups. Can you please help me how to get the permissions migrated.

Thank you.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2017

Hi Sumit,

When you migrate a space, it keeps the original permissions so if the users and groups don't exist on the new space then you might run into an issue.

When you say you cannot see the groups, can you let us know what you mean by that? When you have clicked Recover Permissions you should be able to access the space permissions under Space Tools and change the permissions this way.

Can you tell us what problems you're running into when you do this? Feel free to share screenshots.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Like Dave Liao likes this

Hi Shannon,

I am attaching the images of both Production and Quality environment.

We have created 2 groups called owner and users group in Production environment. Those2 groups are not getting migrated.Production.PNGQA.PNG

Request you to suggest.

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2017

Hi Sumit,

The groups themselves do not get migrated when you move a single Confluence Space.

Are you saying those groups in the top do alreaydy exist on the target instance, but they're not showing up in the permissions? 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Yes, the groups called qxpvalid_Qxpvalid_Owner and qxpvalid_Qxpvalid_Users groups are not showing up in the permissions.

The 2 groups we have added after creating the space.

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2017

Hi Sumit,

The groups need to exist in the target instance prior to importing the space. Otherwise they won't come along with the import. 

Can you confirm that you still have the issue when you create the groups first and then import the space?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Can you please suggest me how to add groups in target instance.

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2017

Sumit,

Apologies, from your last message it sounded like you had already created the groups in the target instance after importing the space.

In order to create the groups in Confluence, this would depend on your Confluence version, but in the latest server version you are able to do so under General Configuration > Groups. This requires you to be an administrator.

Once you add the groups, then you can attempt re-imort of the space.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Divya Dangeti August 9, 2017

Hi Shannon,

We have added the groups in Source instance that is Wiki Production Environment. After that we imported the space in Test Environment, but the 2 groups are not coming up in the Test environment which is target instance.

Kind Regards,

Divya

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2017

Hi Divya,

Thank you for confirming the groups are in the Source instance. Can you also confirm that the groups were created in the Test Environment prior to importing the space?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

We did not created any groups in the test environment after importing the space.

Thanks,

Divya

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2017

Divya,

You will only need to do the following now:

1. In the target (Test) instance, create the groups.
  2. In the space permissions for the imported space, add the groups back.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for the help and for your valuable time.

4 votes
Answer accepted
Christo Mastoroudes _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi,

The index must be built before the space will be available.

If you unchecked "Build Index" when you imported, then you need to run the Rebuild Content Indexing function found in the general configuration section of Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events