Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Normal Text Merging with Header

Edited

Whenever I try to add a header the normal text in the paragraph either above or below always changes to the header formatting. The only solution I've found so far is to leave generous (2+ lines) of space between the header and the text. It looks rather odd and eats up a lot of valuable page space. Example below of unwanted text still well spaced and continuously changing to the heading format.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 12.46.16 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone Community Leader Apr 06, 2022

@Matt Bond Welcome to Confluence Cloud.

How are you applying the Heading formatting? Are you selecting it on the the line you are editing? Or are you highlighting the text and then selecting it? Often when selecting text it can bleed over due to trailing spaces or hard returns. Best practice is just to select the font style you need while the cursor is active on that line of text.

On top of that, there is a natural buffer between Headings and text, which decreases based on the Heading size. See below for the size and buffer space for each heading type.

Capture4.PNG

@Andy Gladstone Thank you for a timely response!

I am highlighting text that's been copied and pasted. Am I understanding your response correctly that the method I'm using is the cause?

Andy Gladstone Community Leader Apr 07, 2022

@Matt Bond that has been my experience. Have you tried with just placing your cursor on the line of text and selecting the font format you desire to see if that changes anything?

@Andy Gladstone That seems to work better. I still need to add an extra space and above and below the header between text or it happens again. But still better than how it was before.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

An update on Confluence Cloud customer feedback – June 2022

Hi everyone, We’re always looking at how to improve Confluence and customer feedback plays an important role in making sure we're investing in the areas that will bring the most value to the most c...

378 views 2 11
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you