New users are automatically subscribed to all space updates (watch default spaces)

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2021

For some reason when I create a new user they are automatically set to watch 2 of our spaces.  This generates a LOT of notifications.  How do I disable this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2021

Okay I just confirmed based on @Shannon S's answer. If you STAR a space DURING the welcome experience it also watches it. If you star a space at any other time it DOES NOT watch the space.

I do not like this behavior.  Users are assuming that "starring" a space is just adding it as a favorite for quick access.  Instead they are getting inundated with emails resulting in alert fatigue. Many users are setting up rules to automatically delete all emails from confluence.  Not good.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2021

Hi Scott,

My apologies for the delay as I've been out. Thank you for confirming that behavior! I'm investigating now to see if there's already a feature request for this, and if not, I'll create one.

Take care,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Hi Scott,

I appreciate your patience. I'm trying to record the behavior, but when I ran through the steps on my test site, I didn't get an option to star any spaces. The only option was to explore a space, but clicking one took me directly to the space. So I am watching the space, but it's the standard behavior, not the problem you reported.

2021-07-02 17.14.48.gif

Would you be able to show me an example screenshot of when you star a space and Confluence watches it? I want to send this over to the development team, but I need to share an example.

Thank you!

Shannon

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 17, 2021

Hello Scott,

Thank you for raising this question with the Community! I'm happy to help you.

Regarding those 2 spaces, are they the default spaces that new users are sent to when they log in? There's an action that automatically encourages them to watch the space, so I am curious if that's happening.

If you still have issues, have your site admin raise a ticket with Atlassian Support so we can take a look.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Take care,

Shannon

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2021

Oh no.  You're saying it might be part of the annoying welcome experience wizard?  The one that asks them what they're interested in, what their astrology sign is and what they are wearing?  I bet this is it...  I'll watch more closely at the next onboarding.

Like # people like this
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2021

Okay I just confirmed. If you STAR a space DURING the welcome experience it also watches it. If you star a space at any other time it DOES NOT watch the space.

I do not like this behavior.  Users are assuming that "starring" a space is just adding it as a favorite for quick access.  Instead they are getting inundated with emails resulting in alert fatigue. Many users are setting up rules to automatically delete all emails from confluence.  Not good.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events