New to Confluence - how do i set a tasks list

Justin Freeden May 4, 2018

Hi guys,

Hope you can help.

I am brand new to Confluence which i am using on a Trial basis.

I have started a new business and i want a software where i can:

1) share documents and information with employees

2) A task list.

I have set everything up and have a number os Spaces. But i am missing a nice clean task list.

Another company i had employed an IT company and they used JIRA and Kanban for work they were doing for us. I was envisaging a similar software for my employees.

So my question is which Atlassian product should i be using for the above. And if you suggest Confluence can JIRA/Kanban be connected to it?

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you

3 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2018

Hello Justin,

To share a task list within Atlassian products, you have several choices:

• Confluence tasks. You can assign a task to someone and set a due date. The task can only be ticked or unticked, it won't follow any workflow.
  • Trello. If you don't know Trello, here's a good starting point. If you're using Confluence Cloud, you can link both: add Trello cards to Confluence, add Confluence pages to Trello cards...
  • Jira Core. You will be able to link Jira issues (tickets) to Confluence pages and vice versa.
  • Jira Software. Just like Jira Core but it adds the Kanban board feature.

If you only need a task list, I think Jira may be overkilled. This page is good to get an overview of the differences between Trello and Jira Software: Jira Software vs. Trello.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Hi Manon thank you for your reply.

i think Trello Confluence collaboration is the way fwd. 

ill give it a trial run.

Thanks

Justin

Great helpful links btw

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2018

Glad it helped! :)

Ive done it all. So happy!

- Im now using Confluence for our sharing platform. All info, docs, pdf's, etc.
- And Trello as our Tasks platform.

Feel so complete, lols!

In Trello I understand Boards, Cards and Lists.

One question: If i have a card and within that card is a checklist of tasks. If each tasks is for a different member how do i designate it? Do i use the @ function or is that only to "mention" something to someone?

Thanks

Justin

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2018

Hello Justin,

That sounds good!

The @ function in Trello indeed is only to mention someone, I think you'd rather use the Hello Epics power-up if you need an assignee: Say Hello To Card Dependencies With The Hello Epics Power-Up.

- Manon

Justin Freeden May 8, 2018

thank you

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

@Justin Freeden Confluence is a great tool for creating a knowledge base to share internally or externally as desired. You can open Spaces and Pages to as much or as little collaboration as you desire. Confluence also provides a nifty solution for creating tasks and assigning them. Please see Confluence Tasks. Confluence integrates very well with Jira.

Trello is another great management tool that you may want to consider. It integrates with Jira and it can be used in a variety of ways. You can use a variety of boards arranged with lists in the way that you want them and they can be shared with your team. you can create tasks and assign them then watch their progress across your board.

Excellent thank you.

im going to try Trello and Confluence together.

justin

0 votes
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2018

Both Confluence and Jira are build for teams and are versatile and easy to adopt and use.

Jira is more to do with Planning & Tracking whereas Confluence for team collaboration with Documents ( Confluence Pages).

As for having Tasks in Confluence you can use the Task feature available in Confluence.

Hi Ajay thank you for reply. Im going to try Manons suggestion of using Trello and Confluence together

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events