New search UX is awful in Confluence 7.4.8

Austin Scott December 15, 2021

I don't know what version is the latest or if this issue even exists in the latest, but my company upgraded to a new version (7.4.8) and now if you click "search" in the top right and enter a query it is an awful experience.

Specifically, after entering your term, this side bar opens that includes your search results. That's all fine and looks the same. HOWEVER, the big issue to me is that when you click on a result and find that it's not what you want, you can't get back to the search results?!

Literally every time you hit back, you have to re-enter the search query and then click the next link of interest, then hit back, and start all over again. It literally went from normal experience to over-engineered nightmare.

Can we at least have a setting that when you search in the top right that it defaults to "advanced search" which loads its own page?

3 answers

0 votes
Robby Holtmann_IntraFind Software AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 20, 2021

Hi @Austin Scott ,

if you want to have more comfort in the search, you might also be interested in our solution iFinder Confluence Search. This enterprise search solution delivers top results based on linguistic analysis and offers many additional features.

These articles may help you:

Cheers

Robby

0 votes
Tran Van Huu December 15, 2021

Hi @Austin Scott 

I see that the lastest version is 7.15 (reference)

We are facing same issue but I think it's ok as Search is used for an instant purpose if they keep your Search query then every time you login, you will directly come to the search result page, that also might be awful experience.
As a workaround, you can right-click on the link you want and select Open link in new tab or just middle-click the link with your mouse (Middle-clicking = using the middle mouse button, which on most mice is the mouse wheel, which is clickable)

Hope this help :)
Thanks,
Huu from FPT Software

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

@Austin Scott sorry to hear you and your team are struggling with quick search.  It was an adjustment for me as well when it went live.  After using it for awhile I do like how it brings back results quickly and can help me find what I am looking for faster.  If I am not sure I always click the advanced search link for full results.  This is a bit of an annoyance but allows me to go back if it is not what I was looking for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events