New confluence experience - Is there a timeframe for header?

Helle Markmann August 18, 2017

I have a space with a header containing a logo at the left and a space searchbar at the right.

I have used the included "header/footer" in the Look and feel (wiki markup).

In the old experience, sections work fine with columns and widths for that, but not in the new.

Also the header is not presented on the "home page" of the space.

Is there a time frame for when this might be solved?

Regards

Helle

2 answers

0 votes
Bruno Miretti August 25, 2017

Hi Helle,

Please have a look at this bug report: CONFCLOUD-56826

I've verified on my site and effectively when you have a section/column in the page, the header has a correct display.

Hope this helps and please vote :-)

Helle Markmann December 5, 2017

Thanks. We have switched to an onpremise solution, and are therefor off the new experience (at least for a while), so I can't verify on my space.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2017

Hi Helle,

Can you share what the customizations are that you have in the header and footer? We will only be supporting basic wiki markup and not macros, but it seems to me this is what you're using only, correct? 

I also want to clarify, you have two issues:

1. You've set specific column widths and this is not working in the New Look.
  2. You've set a header, and it only appears on the pages but not on the home page.

Is this correct?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Helle Markmann August 21, 2017

Hi Shannon

Thanks for ansawring!

I am (unfurtunally) using a macro in the markup. I am using the "Section" macro. I don't know other ways to control, where to put elements in the header. I also use the livesearch macro, but oh boy, I can't do without that.

Here' my markup:

{panel:bgColor=#50a08d}
{section}
{column}
[!YODA:Yoda Home^Yoda OFFICIAL white on turquoise.png|width=70,align=left!|Yoda Home]
{column}
{column:width=10%}
{livesearch:spaceKey=YODA|placeholder=Information find you will}
{column}
{section}
{panel}

and yes, there are two questions - sorry. That was the first one.

2)

The header above, in the old exp. it shows on all my pages, also my space "home page". In the new experience, it doesn't. 

Do you want me to make a different post on this?

I have some experiences with the "home page" in the new exp. but I wrote them as feedback, and I guess I should try to keep different subject down here :-)

2017-08-22_0829.png

Bruno Miretti August 22, 2017

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems, 1 and 2. I wanted to add a link to a parent space in the header due to the loss of sidebar customization. I have 2 links on the left side inside a DIV macro, left aligned. The div macro is in a column without fixed size or %, the other column with our logo has fixed size. Sometimes it works fine, the header is correctly displayed, very often, the logo is displayed below the space shortcut. I just displayed a page where it worked immediately then opened a new tab and I have the logo below the shortcut (refreshing the page has not effect). I tried with Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I can see sometimes the logo is first displayed below the shortcut then goes at its correct place quite immediately without any manual intervention (looks like response time issue).

Just for information, in my case I don't use the section/column code in the header settings as this header is valid for several spaces, I use an include macro: {include:KBCOMMON:KB-Banner|nopanel=true}

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

@Bruno Miretti @Helle Markmann

As far as I am aware, macros won't be supported, but I'm going to get more information on that. I'm also looking into the issue with the header/footer not appearing on the main page, and why column size isn't being set.

I'll update you as soon as I have more information!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2017

@Helle Markmann@Bruno Miretti,

I've confirmed with the team that: 

1. The macros will indeed not work, such as LiveSearch and the includes macro.
  2. The header will only appear on individual pages, and not on the overview page for the space.
  3. The column width should work, as we've tested it here and it does properly set the width. If you set it alone without the {section} macro, does it not properly set the width of your columns?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Bruno Miretti August 24, 2017

Hi Shannon,

thanks for your response and the time you take trying to help us.

I'd say:

- point 1: this worked before the update

- point 2: what is the reason ?

This means I will have to set a header for each space and then I cannot use anymore a common one -> more work. I already spent hours to find workarounds to removed functions with the latest update, your customers have really other things to do.

Could you tell us why the designers team finds this really fun and cool to remove features (points 1 & 2 are just an example) they give us (and we like) with each new version while we are waiting for missing funtionalities rather than a cool and shiny interface ?

Best regards

Bruno

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2017

Hi Bruno,

Before the update to the New Confluence, or it worked with the New Confluence before and stopped working recently? The point that I confirmed with the team is that macros will no longer work in header/footer with the New Confluence Look.

As for point 2, they let me know this is their expected behavior, and it's intentional. 

Have you been able to provide feedback via the option on your bottom left-hand menu? The team will see your feedback there regarding the missing features.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Bruno Miretti August 24, 2017

Thanks Shannon for taking time to confirm this with them.

I'd say: before the new look it was easy to get back to a parent space as we could customize the sidebar and add shortcuts (to a parent space then) that were seen in all pages. Now it's no more possible, logged in users have to click on the search button and look at their history (not intuitive, more clicks). Anonymous users will find an empty search box with no history (all our customers), they have no way to get back to the parent space where they will find links to all our docs except using the "back" button of their browser or getting lost in the "Confluence Home" page (more clicks once again). I had then to find another workaround by adding a shortcut in the header. That was quite easy as I have a common header and footer for all our documentation spaces thanks to the helpful "include" macro. 

Now what is the result ? I have to review all our documentation spaces, think of how I could solve this, spend more and more time in administering Confluence whereas I should spend more time in writing articles. Maybe I'll remove our company logo in the header and keep only the links to the parent space, hoping the include macro will still work for some time, not sure our marketing team will like this.

So for point 2, ok it's intentional. What is the reason ? I don't see any other one than an old dev mentality where devs are edicting the customers needs instead of listening to them, that's very disappointing as I really like Confluence, use it everyday for many things. I'm not against changes but I'm totally against regression.

And yes I provided feedback and added some comments in this discussion:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/What-just-happened-to-Confluence-Cloud/td-p/622890#U628425

Thanks again for your help Shannon.

Helle Markmann December 5, 2017

Hi Shannon

Thanks for the answers. We switched to a on premise server solution and therefor these issues havn't been my concern. They probably will when we get newer versions on the servers.

I am sad to hear that live search macro won't work properly in header. We will have to do a local workaround for that, since my department is holding a wiki in a space (rest of our company uses confluence in many ways).

When I get the new version I will look into this again, and report my feedback.

Happy holidays to you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events