Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Server-ID after changing to temporary Confluence-Home directory

wcms November 27, 2012

I'm in the process of evaluating switching from the internal database to MS SQL. I have read the Migrate to Another Database guide (using method 2), and overall it seems pretty clear.

Now, after I have moved the attachments to the new the home directory, I get a new Server-ID. When opening the Confluence Setup I am requested to enter a license for the new Server-ID (so I'd have to generate a new license). In my case, I have changed the Server-ID under my.atlassian.com, and pasted the new license into the setup.

Later on, I have to import the backup of my data. It redirects me to a progress site, which should show me how far the progress of importing is. Problem is, the page is not refreshing. After a while, I refresh the page, and I get an error (no further description, I guess it's because of the license). On the error page is an label showing the Server-ID (here it shows the original one).

I then restarted Confluence and I've had an working Confluence installation with all the data back in the system. However, I am unsure how proper this upgrade was? Have I done something wrong or should I use this procedure for the productive system?

I am upgrading from 4.1 to 4.3.3

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

Hi there,

First and foremost, please note that server id is not tight to your license. So it is not necessary for you to change license because you have a different server id than the one identified on your license profile at my.atlassian.com

Please refer to our documentation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=151519275

However it is necessary for you to use developer/evaluation license for your staging environment.

If the XML restoration was not completed successfully, than there might some issue on your upgrade process. However, please note that XML backup/restore method is not a recommended method to upgrade your production instance as it is meant for testing purposes only and has been reported to be unreliable for huge instance (may lead to data lost).

Please refer to the following method and see if it is successful for you.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

wcms November 27, 2012

Thanks for the answer :) However, I should have told that I've upgraded from 4.1 to 4.3.3 using the internal db. This worked fine, no errors. Then I created the temporary home, moved the attachments and started the Web-Setup. This time I used an evaluation license, but I get the same error.

I can see, from the CPU load, that indexing is running. After CPU load dropped to 0, I restarted Confluence, and it seemed like it worked. Nothing broken til yet, except for one thing: For some reason it uses old versions of the profile images, not the current ones. The whole content otherwise is up to date. This does only happen after switching the database, the upgrade from 4.1 to 4.3.3 itself didn't touch the profile images. I guess this is the XML which backs up the wrong version of the profile images? Is this a known issue?

wcms December 5, 2012

Opened a ticket yesterday, was told I could ignore the error :)

Thank you!

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

Hello There,

To obtain a better assistance with this situation about the profile images I would suggest you to raise a support ticket at our Support.atlassian.com and attach your log files to further investigation, we would need to take a look at this information from your instance to identify what could be caused this behaviour in your Confluence.

Cheers,

LJ.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2012

Hi,

You could request for developer license for testing purpose. More on the license, you could just upgrade using your license as it is not bound to your server id. Please read more on server id in here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events