New Automation to create Confluence Page - Add information to Page

Steven Lloyd September 22, 2022

I apologise if this has been answered, I have searched, but when looking at the automation rules within Jira I have noticed that there is a new action 'Create Page In Confluence' (I am unsure as to how new this is.

I have managed to run the rule so that automatic pages are now being created depending on the set triggers, however this has added two additional questions;

1. This does not automatically link the Jira Issue with the Confluence page and vice versa. Is there anyway to Automatically link the Jira issue to the page within the issue, and then also have this link show within the Page Template?
  2. Additionally but on a similar note, is there anyway to populate the template with information from said issue. At the moment, the creation of the page only seems to allow you to be able to add Smart Values to the Title of the page, is there anyway to do this within the body.

I am not sure if any of this is possible, but would be massively helpful in the creation of pages to take snaps of information from the issue.

4 answers

6 votes
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2022

Hello @Steven Lloyd 

If you don't mind using an add-on, Elements Publish to Confluence lets you do exactly what you are asking.

Full disclosure: I'm the Product Manager of the app.

With our app you can create Confluence pages from Jira issues. It integrates with Automation, but in addition to the native feature you can : 

• insert any Jira issue data in the Confluence page (and keep the value synchronized between the issue and the page if needed)
  • use any Confluence template you need or design the page yourself
  • automatically link the page to the issue

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

0 votes
Ivan Ferreira
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Steven Lloyd . I was able to create a page in Confluence and populate the body with Issues information. It's not super easy, but it's possible, using the REST API.

If you want a step by step guide, check the following book:

Automate Everyday Tasks in Jira: A practical, no-code approach for Jira admins and power users to automate everyday processes 

Confluence.png

Confluence2.png

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

Thanks for the post and comments. Is there any workaround to this natively in Jira / Automation? THanks @John - I will have a look and upvote and watch that issue. 

Thanks

0 votes
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2022

Hi @Steven Lloyd ,

Atlassian Automation does not allow you to link the page with the ticket or ability to populate a template. We have a public ticket tracking some updates to the action, I'll add your feedback. It's worth noting we have not planned to make updates to this action at this point in time.

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2435

Thanks,

John

Karin van Driel March 13, 2023

Hi @John ,
The ticket you posted does not seem to be public; I get an error that I don't have access to it.

This would be an amazing enhancement so I would love to watch and vote for it.

Cheers,

Karin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events