• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Nesting one expand macro in another

I am attempting to use an expand macro inside another expand macro and according to this page, it is supposed to work. Anyone have a solution?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/expand-macro-223222352.html

NOTE: I am attempting this on the new Confluence Blank page.

6 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Avinoam Atlassian Team Aug 06, 2019

Hi @Trevor Edwards and @Sharon Helms ,

I'm a PM working on the new editor in Confluence Cloud. We're currently in the process of redesigning a new experience for the expand macro which will allow it to both nest and work seamlessly on any device. 

We'll absolutely let you know once it's live!

Thanks,

Avinoam

Sharon Helms Community Leader Aug 06, 2019

Thanks, @Avinoam ! That's excellent news!

Like Trevor Edwards likes this

I am also looking forward to this!

Same, we are using it heavily and now it is broken with the new UI. Is there an ETA when it will work again?

Like Blue likes this

Happy New Year, @Avinoam

Any chance you've got some new updates for us in regards to this nested '/expand' functionality?  A number of us really rely on this and it's just making documents really sloppy and hard to read without it.  Even my scroll wheel is starting to wear out...  ;) 

Avinoam Atlassian Team Jan 06, 2020

Hi @Blue we recently released a new expand that also nests in table cells, however, it does not nest in other expands. You can read more about it here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Introducing-our-new-and-improved-expand/m-p/1250620#M6662%3Futm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_comment&utm_content=topic

Like Blue likes this

Thanks @Avinoam , I think I've figured it out using the tables.  Much appreciated!

@Avinoam , will nested Expand macros be returning? The lack of this feature is making some complicated documents incredibly hard to read and is a massive omission!

Like Biarkabb likes this

@Avinoam , I'm with @Stuart_Beck on this one - even trying to figure things out with tables, it's just not working and isn't a clean solution at all.  Right now we're having to change our layouts and hoping the nested /expand feature comes back soon.

@Avinoam Any update on this nested expand feature? I was using it in the old editor as recently as two weeks ago, but have since been forced to auto-update editors and it appears as though I've lost access to the immensely valuable nested expand. A response would be much appreciated!

It's frustrating how well designed features from prior versions are lost. I too would like nested expands like in prior versions of cloud and like how the self hosted version works. 

Hi, just wondering if there is an ETA for being able to nest expands in Cloud soon? Love this in the legacy editor!

Also checking for an ETA on this. Using the table work around is really sub-par and much more time consuming. Thanks! 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sharon Helms Community Leader Aug 06, 2019

Hi Trevor,

The doc you referenced (Cloud version) is from 2017 -- it used to be possible to next expand macros.

I'm guessing that you have the new Confluence editor active on your site? If so, that's why you can't nest one expand macro inside another.

I'm not sure if that functionality will be brought back. Fingers crossed!

+1 to fixing expand on new Confluence Cloud. There are issues with: 

• Not able to embed one expand within another 
  • Not able to insert expand sections between bullet points. Screenshots below: 

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.11.47 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.11.54 am.png

Thank you @Trevor Edwards for posing the question.

@Avinoam   ...I am also wondering, in the absence of being able to nest within a nest, is there an alternative or better way of doing what I am attempting to do.

I would like to show "years" then to be able to expand that and show "months" and be able to expand each day of the month to show accomplishments of that day.

As you can imagine, the will become quite lengthy if not able to nest them.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks @Trevor Edwards  , for bringing this up, this was the exact question I had as well. I use the expand macro function in all my documents (and then create nested expand boxes).

@Avinoam , thank you so much for clarifying that this functionality will return in the new editor.

Why would you remove the ability to nest within nests it was by the far the single most useful feature confluence offered. The new UI change should only have been released if it actually added value. It does not you have made it look pretty but taken back critical functionality that made confluence a manageable space to log detailed workflows and documentation. The nests within nests also made embedding documents seamless without having pages that were 100 pages long. 

@Avinoam you promised last year this was being worked on yet instead more than 6 month later posted about table functionality that is clunky and doesn't solve the core problem.

You guys are building a product for Product owners how could you forget to identify the problem you are trying to solve when you released these tables? My concern is without this feature confluence will be largely redundant for anything other than minor workflows or analysis.

They said they are listening so everything should be fine :-)

The-new-editing-experience-we-re-listening 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

342 views 23 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you