Nested tables in Confluence

Hi all,

I used to be able to create a table within a table using the button on top in edit mode. Now, it's grayed out when I'm within a table, and when I hover over the icon, I'm told that nested tables are unsupported.

Is this an issue with the new version of Confluence? Is there a way to get around this? The document already contains nested tables and I would like to keep the format uniform, and copying and pasting does not work.

Thanks,
Jinyoung

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi Jinyoung,

I believe you may be using the new Confluence Cloud version, correct? If so, Nested Tables are no longer supported here.

I've created a ticket in our reporting system so that the team can let us know whether or not it will be brought back, but it may be unlikely.

Regards,

Shannon

4 votes

I can't believe this functionality has been removed without warning! My company is highly dependent on this functionality for documenting requirements.  I tried copy and pasting a previously created row and the paste functionality did not work as expected.  This is a major issue from our point of view.

Added my comment as well. We rely heavily on our program status pages and inside the tables are more important pieces of data that have to be displayed in a table format. Please provide a work around of some kind.

This is a very useful feature for me too, so I would like this feature to be reinstated. 

Thank you.

2 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Dec 27, 2017

Atlassian recently announced that they are removing that ability. Personally, I think it is a terrible decision as they are assuming that they know best how you should write your documentation. The reason they gave was so that your documentation could be more readable.

Hi Davin,

I created a ticket linked in my answer to gather feedback on this issue, so please feel free to vote on it as well and comment with your feedback.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for submitting the ticket. I have added my comments to it. This change will make creating my API documentation on Confluence very difficult.

Everyone,

The only thing I have found as a work around is to copy an existing nested table and just change the text. It is a lot of work, but in a pinch it can work.

Thanks,

Denise

0 vote

Is there any workaround?

Savdeep,

If you check the bug ticket I posted in my answer, you'll see that some user has come up with a workaround last month. I recommend you reach out to him on that case for more details regarding the workaround. He's attached some images but they appear to not be showing.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi Savdeep,

Place your cursor in the table and select {} Markup from the Insert More Content menu. Ensure Confluence Wiki is selected from the Insert drop-down. Then, type  ||col into the Insert text box. You'll a table column in the Preview pane. Click the Insert button. A one column, one row table will be placed within the table. You can then add columns and rows as you normally would.

I saw this work around in another post and it has worked consistently for me.

Good Luck,

Denise

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

741 views 21 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you