Need to order content by label results

Jason Green August 31, 2018

Hi All,

Confluence newbie here. I am using the Confluence Content-by-Label macro and it only allows me to sort by Title/Creation/Modified. I desperately need manual control over this sort-by function. I need to order my installation Heading pages on my dashboard in a specific, logical order. I like the dynamic nature of the Content-by-Label macro. How can I have both my own custom sorting ability and the dynamic feature? Is the zero-width space in unicode character a possible work-around? 

Thx,

J

2 answers

0 votes
Nancy Bonanno June 26, 2020

@Jason Green Did the zero-space workaround work for you?  I need to list instruction pages in a specific order and I have the same problem as you.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2018

Hi Jason,

It's not possible to manually sort. This was requested in the past, but we do not intend to include this in the near future:

In my search, I was able to find a 3rd party add-on that could possibly help you with this:

It's not supported by Atlassian, but it would still be worth installing and seeing if it can help you accomplish what you need.

As for the zero-space workaround you mentioned, I haven't tested this myself, but you can certainly try it and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Shannon

Arindam Banerjee October 30, 2019

Hi Shannon,

I wonder if we can get the contents (Content by label) ordered by 'Position' as it is available in 'Page Tree' macro.

Thanks,

Arindam

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hello Arindam,

You can sort Content by Label in the following ways:

Sort the list by title, the date it was created, or the date it was last modified. If you don't select an option, CQL default ordering by relevancy is used.

Position is not a possible sorting method.

I hope that's clear! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Nancy Bonanno June 26, 2020

How is "relevancy" decided by the macro?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2020

Hi  Nancy,

Thank you for following-up here; great question!

Confluence search results ranking (using CQL) uses a complex formula, which can change depending on the Confluence version. There's an official explanation here:

The goal of this document is not to explain the search algorithm (as this changes between releases) but rather to help explain the overarching principals in Confluence Search Results.

Thus, relevancy isn't based on one specific set of factors. Rather, a complex algorithm which determines a specific weight for that document, as described in the above article.

I'm sorry that it's not such a simple answer, but I wanted to provide some insight on how that is determined.

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events