Need to create a user with read only permission (Similar to anonymous user)

RackNap Knowledgebase January 2, 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to create user with the read only permissions. Similar to an anonymous user, but with login credentials. 

How can i do that??

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2017

Create a standard normal user, then don't put them in any groups or space permissions that give them any access other than reading pages.

RackNap Knowledgebase January 2, 2017

Hello Nic,

I followed your suggestion but, now user doesn't  have permission to access confluence.

What should i do for it.??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

You need to include them in a group that has the "can log in" global permission.

I suspect you've run into the "default settings problem".  The default in Confluence (and similarly in JIRA for that matter) is to have a group called confluence-users.  This group has "can log in", which is absolutely fine, but then the (bad) design is to use that group generally to allow access to spaces as well, as a default.

This means you have three options

1. The messy quick option - add a new group for "other people who can log in", put it in the global settings, and put your user in that group and no others.
  2. The slower, but proper way to do it - go through your spaces and remove usage of confluence-users, replacing it with something else that still lets all the users in.
  3. A variation on 2 - create a new group for "can log in", put everyone in it, add it to the global permission, then remove confluence-users from the global permission.  Then make sure your new user is only in the login group

Note that however you do this, you will need to add the user to the "see space" permissions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events