Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My self hosted server on AWS instance frequently crashes, 3 or 4 times a week

Vinh Le November 18, 2019

Hi,

Is there a way i could find out why my site kept crashing very frequently ?

3 answers

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

The reason I am asking you to revisit your memory allocation is because I have faced similar situation when I was running Atlassian JIRA and Confluence on AWS Free Tiers.

I had the memory increased on a billed Tier and it ran smooth.

Vinh Le November 19, 2019

But i have checked the memory only use 2G and the other 2G occupied by JVM .

I have 4G left to spare.

Thanx

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2019

Nothing in the logs ?

0 votes
Stan Ry
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2019

Hi, I believe you could start with Logging and Profiling available in Settings. Check this log:

/opt/atlassian/confluence/logs/catalina.out

Here's how to locate it. Here's some more detail from Atlassian.

Follow these steps to configure logging detail levels of the log4j library used for logging in Confluence. 

If you need to fine-tune logs, look at this. And this guide might come handy.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2019

If you are using the free Tier EC2 of AWS - trust me , the RAM / Memory it has to offer is not sufficient for JIRA or Confluence to run.

I am to understand it is around 2GB - is that the case ?

Vinh Le November 19, 2019

It is AWS T2 Instance , T2 Large. Which provides 8G Ram and 2 vCPU, Xeon 3.3GH.

So do you still think this is the case.

Also the crashing has only happen recently as it was running quite good at the start for a year or so.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2019

Have you made any changes recently - like some memory consuming plugins , or any other application running in the same server ?

Did you monitor your cpu / memory usage recently ?

Has synchrony been always running in your server before this crash started occurring ?

How does your jvm look like ?

I've faced situation like yours in the past on AWS - I just had my insufficient memory increased and it resolved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events