Multiple users editing office file with Companion App

Albert Vila August 11, 2017

How does companion app handle it when multiple users are editing the same file?

Is it possible to notify the user that someone has opened the file before uploading it?

3 answers

1 vote
Nadja_Agreiter April 1, 2019

Hello,

using Confluence since 2016 I must say Companion App is way worse then the former Office Connector. Selling Confluence as collaboration tool and not handling multiple editing office files is kind of shizophrenic. The office connector could lock the opened file. I would really appreceate, if you could consider a feature to adress this issue with one of the next releases.

Best regards

Nadja

1 vote
sreuter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2017

Thanks for your question/feedback, @Albert Vila. I can echo @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- answer, as we're currently not supporting "attachment locking" and do not have any plans regarding that at the moment. As always tho, we'll keep track on the general customer demand for such a feature!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2017

It doesn't, because it can't.

The process of editing an attachment is:  download a copy, edit it locally, upload the new version.  The server cannot know what is being done to a copy of the file it holds.

There are some add-ons which put a form of lock on attachments so that people can tell someone else is editing and has the intention of uploading a new copy, but there's no way to know what is happening on other machines.

Jason Reisz November 19, 2019

That is not true, its not that it can't.  GoEdit has been doing this for years as an addon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events