Multiple spaces, link to same documentation.

Edwin Stol July 15, 2012

Hello,

I have a question regarding multiple spaces, and i am wondering if someone has had the same question and maybe found a solution.

The thing is, we have multiple spaces; spaces X,Y and Z, which contain (basically) the same documentation.

Only space X is the space with the production data, Y contains the adjustments for project Y, and Z contains the adjustments for project Z.

If i edit a page in, for instance, space X, i would like a 'banner' on that same page in space Y and Z, stating that the page in space X changed, and we should merge those changes to space Y and Z.

So, i have

http://<confluence_base_url>>/display/SPACE1/Documentation

http://<confluence_base_url>>/display/SPACE2/Documentation

http://<confluence_base_url>>/display/SPACE3/Documentation

So, if i make a change on the page 'Documentation' in space X and that page exists in space Y and Z as well, i want to see a visual notification (kinda like the {space-jump macro} banner) on the other spaces. Has anyone done something like this?

Regards,

Edwin

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2012

If you are interested in a commercial plugin solution, you may like to look at the Scroll Versions plugin from k15t software. It is designed to handle situations where you have sets of similar content published to multiple pages.

Edwin Stol July 16, 2012

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for your reply. We've looked into the Scroll Versions plugin (Sarah mentioned it as well), but they are mainly focused on multiple versions within one space. What i specifically do not want is the content being published, because that would overwrite changes one might have made in space Y and Z.

Since we own the Scaffolding and Reporting plug-ins, i've looked into using those plugin solutions as well, but can't quite figure out how to accomplish the above.

Christian January 13, 2021

Old question but still useful

I think a solution would be to merge the spaces into a single space and create three main parent pages with appropriate access right by group.

Then work from a single truth and place details in either branch X Y or Z as needed. Those spaces would be increasingly more sparse as all the common data and "truth" about things would be in X with only details in Y that aren't common. Same for Z

0 votes
Emanuel Felix Tunbjer July 15, 2012

Hi Edwin,

Have you considered moving the common information in a space of its own (which all users have access to) and then including the information in the other spaces with the Include Page Macro, or even the Excerpt Include Macro?

That way you would get rid of the problem with updating multipla pages containing the same information.

Cheers.//Felix

Edwin Stol July 16, 2012

Hello Felix,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we've looking into one space and including the information, only that's not the way we want to go for the moment.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events