Multilingual content in Confluence?

Hi,

is there a way to have multilingual content in Confluence?

There would be a default language of the content and user could change to another language if he wants.

Thanks,

Kostas

5 answers

For this you could use the Language Plufin from bitvoodoo:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/28648

Hi,

thanks for the help.

I've tested the plugin. It's not bad but i would like to have something like a select list in the page with the available languages so the user could choose.

Atlassian has gathered all the tools providing some kind of content or page translation support in this best practices article but the problem still doesn't seem to have been handled completely:

How can I translate Confluence page content?

We built a two-language wiki for our customer knowledgebase and are now developing a real multilingual version. The bitvoodoo Language Plugin isn't quite what we needed.

Our solution was to use Adaptavist Theme Builder, wich allows hierarchical spaces. Each language has its own first-level space (these spaces have no content itself, they serve as a node and homepage for each language). The spaces wich contain the content are sub-spaces.

This structure allowed us to have localized menus etc. We also had to localize the search and a number of user macros that do a lot of reporting (related topics and pages, for example).

Finally, we wrote a user macro for switching between different languages. If the page titles in the two languages are identical, the macro doesn't need a parameter, if they are not, a parameter with the page title must be set on the English page, on the German page (default language), it is not necessary.

The language switch button only appears, if the page exists in the other language. This is quite helpful for the technical writer, since he doesn't have to check beforehand. The macro simply is part of our page template. The only thing one has to do is to enter the page title of the default language (in our case German), when adding the english version.

The macro code is as follows:

#if($space.getKey().substring(0,2) == "EN")#set($space=$space.getKey().substring(2))#set($linktext="!ABOUT:Home^switch.png|align=left,hspace=4! Deutsche Version")#else#set($space= "EN" + $space.getKey())#set($linktext="!ABOUT:Home^switch.png|align=left,hspace=4! English version")#end
#if("$!parampage" == "")#set($parampage=$content.getTitle())#end
{move-to:target=i18n-wrapper}
{set-data:switchto|hidden=true}$!parampage$!{null}{set-data}
{report-block}{content-reporter:types=page|spaces=$space}
{text-filter:data:switchto|value=$parampage}
{content-reporter}
{report-body}{div:class=i18n}{report-link:content:url}$linktext$!{null}{report-link}{div}{report-body}
{report-block}
{move-to}

At the moment, we are trying to extend this solution to a multi-language platform. So far, this solution works fine, although requires some extra work

Dear @Daniel Schmidt, it has been a while since you posted that reply. However, we are facing the same situation I wanted to ask whether there is some more information or even a demo you could share?

Thanks for your efforts!

Reinhard

Dear Daniel Schmidt I agree with Reinhard : can we watch a demo of that solution ?

I've stumbled upon this company which looks very promising. I'll delve deeper into their workflow and further analyze their translation services including their TM, content re-use strategy, versioning process etc but my hopes are high. I'll maybe run a demo with them and report my conclusions back here.

Lingotek

Thanks @Deniz Yalçın for this link. Have you ever tested this solution?

@Kostas

i am looking also for a multilingual content wiki in confluence, where i can switch the language.

Did you get more information how-to do that in confluence; any new experiences there for this topic. Or may be you have made some tests / demos??

The main question is; how could we achieve a switchable wiki?
What would be the best practices here fore.

kind regards

Dursun

Hey Ali,

to be honest i haven't done a lot of things on that. The readymade solutions were not exactly the things i wanted.

At the moment we are just creating separate pages for every language we need. Is a bit primitive approach but it was the fastest thing to do.

Cheers,

Kostas

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,932 views 27 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you