Multi-part table

adambadura April 22, 2015

I have a long table. I decided to divide it on multiple <tbody> parts. But I noticed it causes many issues.

First I wanted to add possibility to expand/collapse those parts of the table. But apparently <ac:structured-macro> cannot wrap only <tbody> (and thus be inside of a <table>).

Then I tried Table Plus Macro. This would also provide me benefit of controlling which columns sort, showing initial sort and adding auto-numbering. But it seems to be incapable of dealing with multiple <tbody> as well.

I have considered just making separate tables. But then I would not be able to align column widths in all the tables without explicitly setting them. (I don't want to set any particular size as I want them to adapt to content.)

Also since I have multiple <tbody> parts each of them starts with a header-row. The row contains only one column (spanned across entire table) with a header for the following part. And this prevents column sorting in ordinary tables (in fact any spanning seems to do so). And Table Plus Macro seems to be unable to treat such row differently (not sort it, not auto-number it). The first one can be included in heading and thus avoid problems but any others (inside the table) remain.

Any advice how to deal with such tables?

1 answer

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2015

I agree, more control for long tables would be nice.

My ideal would be tables with support for multiple <tbody>. Each <tbody> should allow precise control over column widths and make it easy to define where and when to sort and where and when to force or allow page breaks. colspan and rowspan should not interfere with any of that. Page breaks should come with an option for repeated headers plus customisable info text before the break. All table elements (<thead>, <tbody>, <tfoot>, <tr>, <td>) should be easily addressable with CSS and support nth-child(odd)and nth-child(even) for flexible colouring or other adaptions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events