Moving Confluence app to a different server, but using the existing database

Brian Salzle April 27, 2014

We are considering moving our Confluence 3.4.5 installation to a different server. Our underlying wiki database is in Oracle on a 3rd server and doesn't need to move ... it just needs to be used by the new wiki server. I was thinking that we could just install Confluence on the new server, and then configure it to point it at the existing database, but are there any pitfalls with this? In particular, will the install or configuration processes do anything to overwrite our existing database (which would be very bad, obviously), and if so, how would we avoid that?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2014

The easiest way would be to just copy all the confluence application and data directories to new server.

Brian Salzle April 27, 2014

What about the Tomcat installation and configuration (on Windows)? My recollection is that happened automatically as part of the Confluence install process. If so, wouldn't just copying the confluence directory mean that we'd also need to manually work out the details of getting Tomcat running on the new server?

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2014

I assumed you are on linux. For windows i believe you should install tomcat configure it in similar way as old tomcat. And copy webapps, lib and confluence-data (confluence home) folder. Try using same java/tomcat versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events