cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved Confluence page doesn't actually move

Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2014

I recently changed the home page for a space, moved a bunch of pages underneath it and then deleted the old home page. Turns out that one page under the tree didn't actually move. I've tried since to move the page but no matter what I did (dragging it in page tree, or using the Tools > Move) it wouldn't move. 

Why is this? What can I do?

9 answers

0 votes
Guy Eden November 28, 2015

Bumping an old thread, but one solution I've found is purging the deleted pages in the space: sometimes there's a deleted page with the same name as the one you're trying to move, and this seems to confuse Confluence.  I've also seen examples where this helps even if there's no page with the same name.

Edit - this is a known issue, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Unable+to+Move+Confluence+Page+within+the+Same+Space+Because+of+Deleted+Page

0 votes
Renee Grebe December 17, 2014

Personally, the pages I was trying to move either didn't have children or had a handful of children. The space I was moving them in is also not very large (not more than 100 pages total).  I had been using Confluence v5.6.5, just FYI. 

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2014

Hi Steve,

I believe you might be facing a bug in Confluence: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34870

It is related to when you are moving a page with a large number of children pages as well: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-35396

is there something in the logs regarding the page being moved? It will eventually finish as far as I know, but you may need to wait some minutes to accomplish.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

0 votes
Kyle McBard December 17, 2014

I'm having a similar problem.

Backstory: A user (with full space permissions) created a wiki page and moved two pages successfully to be child pages under it. He is now trying to move another page (which is at the same level and in the same space as the other two) to be a child page in the created wiki page, but nothing happens. I have tried this as the admin and the same thing happens to me: we click "..." >> Move, type in the name of the desired location (and it autofills), click "Move", the URL changes to "moved=true", but the page doesn't actually move. There are no error messages or anything. We've refreshed the screen and the page is still  in the same place.

0 votes
matthewc December 10, 2014

Yeah same deal here. I try to move some pages and they stay put. I have all the required permissions, and there are no restrictions on the pages in question. 

Workaround: I copy the page and, change the name slightly, and set the location as desired. Then I go back and delete the old page and rename the new one. This is a clunky way to move a page. 

0 votes
RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

I recently encountered this exact scenario which consistently affected several pages. The one thing all pages had in common was that they had long page titles. 

Solution: shorten the page names, move the pages, reinstate the long page names. 

Worth a try? 

0 votes
Renee Grebe November 7, 2014

I too am having this problem.  I am the creator of the parent page and the child page I'm attempting to move into the parent.  I've also had our Atlassian Admin try it as well and it did not work for them.  

To take a step back, here is what I did:

• I had a space with many subpages, but I wanted to move those subpages into a folder (so that my space could have ~5 top level general folders since I was expanding the use of the space).
  • I created the new parent folder 
  • I successfully moved about 20 subpages (each with varying levels of images and subpages)
  • ~4 pages would not move.
  • I recreated the easy ones in the new parent folder by copying content into an new page, then deleting the original.
  • One of these newly created duplicate pages will not allow itself to be re-ordered, it always shows up at the bottom no matter how many times I drag/drop it to move it.
  • One other page has several levels of subpages and recreating it would be tedious and time consuming, so I decided a post here may save time.

Thoughts?

0 votes
Julia Wester [Wittified]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2014

do you have permission to edit that page (does it have narrower restrictions)?

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2014

do you get any errors or anything ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events