Move user authentication from JIRA User Directory to LDAP

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

Hi,

We currently use JIRA User Directory to manage users within our Confluence instance. JIRA, in turn, uses LDAP for authentication.

Now we would like to switch over Confluence to use LDAP directly as well. Any suggestions for how this is done without too much hassle?

I figured that since JIRA is using the same LDAP it would work to just add LDAP to Confluence and put it above the "JIRA User Directory" in the Directory name list in Confluence.

It feels to be too easy so any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

// Svante

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

That should be it. Sometimes things are too easy ;) Make sure the users are in the right groups in LDAP too or else they will start complaining about invalid permissions!

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Great, thanks for your answer!

Good point with the groups. They are currently created in JIRA and do not exist in LDAP. I will have to create them in LDAP first and synchronize them as well with confluence.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2013

I have made my tests now in my staging environment and this will work fine.

When disabling the JIRA User directory all users will disappear from the confluence-users group which was created in JIRA.

However, I have confígured LDAP as Readonly with local groups and setup that users are added to confluence-users on first login. This group is starting to fill-up now as people are logging in again. All history, favorites, notifications and stuff are preserved.

I had a concern that the group was created in JIRA (hence belongs to the JIRA User directory) but it turns out that Confluence actually migrates this group to the INternal directory when I delete the JIRA User Directory. This has to do with the fact that the group is in use in Confluence. I noticed that groups from JIRA not used in Confluence were removed when I deleted the User Directory.

0 votes
Sanu Soman July 2, 2013

I'm also going to perform same activity. So could you please suggest which is the better way to achieve this.

Once LDAP integration completed, then how will be the first time login? users need to do any kind of sign-up? or simply they can access by their LDAP username & password?

Also, which permission type is better while configuring LDAP integration? means which one is better from Read Only, Read Only, with local Groups or read/Write. We have some custom groups associated with spaces.

Please suggest.. Many thanks in advance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events