Move all information from Confluence to SharePoint

Drishti Maharaj September 20, 2021

Hi,

We currently have  Atlassian Confluence 7.1.1 and would like to move all information stored on that onto SharePoint and decommission Confluence.

Is there a way to do this without 3rd party apps?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

Hi @Drishti Maharaj If you want to export and keep attachments, you can create HTML export of your confluence spaces. You can test it for a dummy space and if it works as per your requirement, you can simply export all your spaces as HTML and then import it in sharepoint.

Please take a look at the different options available on this link.

Mohajit Acharya November 15, 2021

Hello Kishan,

Have you exported .html file of a confluence Space or Page to Sharepoint online? Can you please detail the sequence of steps involved? The link mentioned above only talks about the available options to export but does not talk about how to export specifically,

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2021

Hi @Mohajit Acharya 

Yes I have done it in the past, its pretty simple, below are the steps -

1. Go to the space and choose Space tools > Content Tools from the bottom of the sidebar
2. Choose Export
3. Select HTML then choose Next
Select the type of export:
Normal Export - Generates a HTML file for each page in this space, excluding blogs, comments, and attachments.
Custom Export - Generates a HTML file of selected pages based on options that you choose from below.
4. Choose Export.

Once export is completed, you will get an option to download the export in zip format.

Like Mohajit Acharya likes this
Mohajit Acharya November 16, 2021

Thanks for your response. I think I was not clear with my question. I have been able to reach the step you just mentioned above. My question was "What's next? i.e. how to import the .html file to Sharepoint.....what are the steps involved there in Sharepoint?

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2021

Hi @Mohajit Acharya no worries, On sharepoint, you can drag/upload files directly in OneDrive or Sharepoint Site Library. Refer steps on this link.

Hello @Kishan Sharma , thanks for your prompt response. 
What I am looking for is to import a Confluence page to Sharepoint as a Sharepoint site. May I request your expertise in this, please?

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2021

You can try disabling clickjacking protection from Confluence and check if you are able to include your confluence pages in an iframe on your sharepoint pages. You can refer detailed steps about it here.

If this doesn't work, you can explore third party plugin on Atlassian Marketplace such as - SharePoint Connector for Confluence to see if that meets your requirement.

Many thanks @Kishan Sharma , I will surely go through the link. I am looking for a migration solution as we will decommission Confluence because of its erratic price band. Since Sharepoint is part of our enterprise O365 account it makes all the more sense to migrate to Sharepoint once for all. So, my requirement is to migrate all the contents from Confluence to Sharepoint as Sharepoint sites one for all.

SharePoint Connector for Confluence is not a migration solution and it won't help because we have no plan to continue with Confluence and hence its plugins.

Like # people like this
Amar Patil April 7, 2022

@Mohajit Acharya @Kishan Sharma 

I also have same requirement. If you get the answer to it or any tool for migrating confluence as is to SharePoint then please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2022

It's the same now as it was last year - you'll need to export the pages to something Sharepoint can store (to never be read again)

Like # people like this
Jean-Pierre Mieny September 28, 2022

@Mohajit Acharya I also have same requirement. If you get the answer to it or any tool for migrating confluence pages to SharePoint then please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Heinrich Ulbricht February 20, 2023

@Jean-Pierre Mieny @Amar Patil @Mohajit Acharya After feeling this need myself I created a tool to migrate Confluence pages to SharePoint Online: WikiTraccs. You can check it out at https://www.wikitransformationproject.com.

I takes Confluence pages one by one, transforms them to something SharePoint can understand and uploads them as modern pages, using standard APIs. I hope this will be useful for everybody shifting at least some of their wiki workload to SharePoint.

Feel free to reach out if there are any questions.

Like # people like this
Nx WorkOrders April 12, 2023

@Heinrich Ulbricht your solution appears to be pretty neat, however it seems to require some strange Azure AD helper component which we've been trying to reach you about to get a better understanding. 

If anyone else here has a better solution, I believe we are all interested to know. Its amazing that there isn't a simple answer to a simple question.  Maybe because its a complicated problem. 

Heinrich Ulbricht April 12, 2023

@Nx WorkOrders The Azure AD configuration is the only non-trivial part of getting started with WikiTraccs. Unfortunately it's a necessary step to access Microsoft APIs, in this case related to SharePoint.

I wrote a blog post about the why and how and hope it helps to clear things up: https://www.wikitransformationproject.com/blog/2023/04/12/registering-wikitraccs-as-app-in-azure-ad/

0 votes
Baris Guner October 5, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events