Mobile view still available after disabling Confluence Mobile Plugin

Francisco Zagmutt October 25, 2019

Running confluence server 6.15.2

We want mobile users to see only the desktop site version of our confluence space (https://modelassist.epixanalytics.com/) to enjoy its full functionality.

We disabled the Confluence Mobile Plugin as per the documentation here https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-mobile-284365706.html?_ga=2.99363997.2045474798.1572018407-1547976490.1572018407, but when testing in mobile we still see the mobile version. 

Also, when running a Google search for our space from a Desktop, "Confluence Mobile - " is appended to the name of our space in the search result, so I wonder if there is some other configuration that needs to be changed. 

Thanks in advance for your help and insights!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

Hi @Francisco Zagmutt,

Confluence Mobile App (plugin) is only for Confluence Server communication with app installed in your phone (iPhone, Android), does not display the Confluence mobile view in the browser on your phone.

You can try disable "System plugin" Confluence Mobile Web Plugin, but this may affect the functionality of Confluence notifications (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-40782 - Workbox Notification).

Manage_apps_-_Confluence.png

Pavel

Francisco Zagmutt October 28, 2019

Thanks for your response, @Pavel Junek . I appreciate your help.

That fixed it! We had disabled the "Confluence Mobile Plugin", but didn't know there was a separate "Confluence Mobile Web Plugin" we could only get to by filtering to "All apps" as you clearly described in your screenshot above.  

Do you also have insights on the other issue I described "when running a Google search for our space from a Desktop, "Confluence Mobile - " is appended to the name of our space in the search result, so I wonder if there is some other configuration that needs to be changed. " Please see the screenshots of a google search, and the Site Title under "General Configuration -> "Site configuration"

- Google search

Annotation 2019-10-28 151752.png

- Site configuration

Annotation 2019-10-28 152219.png

Thank you!

Like Pavel Junek likes this
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

Hi Francisco,
Thank you for your information about your problem and for Accepted answer.

If I understand your question - To disable indexing your Confluence with Google, you can add entries to your robots.txt file. How to find it on Prevent Search Engine Indexing Using Robots Text file 

Pavel

Like Francisco Zagmutt likes this
Francisco Zagmutt October 29, 2019

Thanks again for your answers Pavel,

We actually want the side to be indexed by Google. The issue is that Google search is returning "Confluence Mobile -" added to the site name even though the title should be just "Model assist - risk modeling library". It's also adding the mobile site links at the bottom of the search as i highlighted in red, which don't work when browsing on a desktop. I will force a re-index and see if this is solved, but I suspect it's a bug. 

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2019

Hi Francisco,

aha, I see now. Yes, you are right - this behavior will probably not be standard and probably will be Confluence Bug. You can contact Atlassian Support to help with this problem.

Pavel

Like Francisco Zagmutt likes this

Thanks Pavel. I will do that and will report back here if I learn any insights. 

Once again, thank you for your help!

Quick follow-up. The re-indexing fixed the issue, now the search result yields the proper name and desktop-only links so I didn't report this as a bug as I believe it's Google's policy now to crawl sites as mobile whenever that's available. 

Like Pavel Junek likes this
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2019

Great, thanks for the info! It is good that reindexation helped.
Have a nice day
Pavel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events