Missing Confluence 'User Directories' menu item

David Langdon August 6, 2013

I am running Confluence 5.1.4 and was going to change my Crowd configuration but I do not appear to have a User Directories menu item under Users & Security any longer. I see the crowd configuration in the DB and if I look at users I see Crowd being referenced but I can't find any way of modifying or changing the info.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Langdon September 12, 2013

The major issue was the JDK, but even after ensuring Confluence was using JDK 1.7, I still need to completely disable the Crowd Server integration and then reconnect it once the User Directories menu entry re-appeared. For folks who run into this issue, 1st verify the JDK and then follow the above references/actions to reset the directory being used for the local user and problems should resolve.

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

In case you may have overlooked it, you need "System Administrator" permissions and not just "Confluence Administrator" permissions to change the Directory configuration. It's worth a check to make sure your account is in the right group.

David Langdon August 7, 2013

have System admin privileges

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

When all modeules from corwd embbed plugin are disabled, I think is necessary to folow these steps to fix this problem:

# Shutdown Confluence
# Make a backup of the database
# Remove The following folders:
#* <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins folder
#* <confluence-home>/plugin-cache folder
#* <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache folder
#* <confluence-home>/plugins-temp folder

* Perform a Select from BANDANA to see the state of plugins:

select BANDANAVALUE from BANDANA where BANDANAKEY = 'plugin.manager.state.Map';

* Update this to '</map>':

UPDATE BANDANA SET BANDANAVALUE='<map/>' WHERE BANDANAKEY='plugin.manager.state.Map';

This will Enable All plugin. (if you need any of these plugins to be disabled, please disable them later)

* Restart the Confluence

Cheers,

Bernardo

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

Based on this description I suspect you are experiencing this bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22434

Please check if you are using tomcat 7. Also I suggest you to clean your bundled plugin's cache just for test purpose.

Shut down Confluence, then remove all contents from these direcories:

* The _<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_ folder
* The _<confluence-home>/plugin-cache_ folder
* The _<confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache_ folder
* The _<confluence-home>/plugins-temp_ folder

After that restart Confluence.

Cheers,

Bernardo

We are not using Tomcat 7 and after removing the contents of the specified directories, I get the same results. Log provides same error messages as well.

David Langdon August 21, 2013

Should I assume that I need to go to Atlassian support now for additional help in resolving my problem? If so that is fine, but just wanted to make sure no one was going to be able to help me here.

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Before proceed to Atlassian support channel, which is highly recommended so we could investigate your environment and configuration clearly and confidentially, please double check your JDK and ensure that you are using the supported JDK.

Before restarting you might want to try enabling plugin safe mode to see if there are any third party plugin causing this issue.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

David,

Thanks for clarifying!

Have you disabled the SSO between Confluence and Crowd when trying to login? You can do this by following this guide:

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Cannot+Log+in+to+Confluence+as+a+Local+User+when+Crowd+SSO+is+Enabled

EDITED: You'll need to restart Confluence after editing the seraph-config.xml file. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Hi Lucas,

SSO is not enabled. I can log in and do administrative activities and see only 1 user, but I still don't see the User Directories. Does the Atlassian Embedded Crowd plugin being disabled have anything to do with this?

After checking the logs, I am seeing this message (the link does not point to a valid page):

2013-08-07 15:27:47,098 ERROR [main] [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] enableInternal Detected an error (BundleException) enabling the plugin 'com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.admin' : Unresolved constraint in bundle com.atlassian.crowd.embedded-crowd-admin-plugin [106]: Unable to resolve 106.0: missing requirement [106.0] package; (&(package=com.atlassian.crowd.model.application)(version>=2.6.0)). This error usually occurs when your plugin imports a package from another bundle with a specific version constraint and either the bundle providing that package doesn't meet those version constraints, or there is no bundle available that provides the specified package. For more details on how to fix this, see http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/1xy6D

2013-08-07 15:27:47,099 WARN [main] [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] enable Unable to enable plugin 'com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.admin'

com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.OsgiContainerException: Cannot start plugin: com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.admin

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

HI David,

The 'User Directories' option for both, JIRA and Confluence, will only be displayed if you're logged with a local user. So please try to re-login with an internal administrator for seeing the 'User Directories' option. if you don't remember any local user of your Confluence instance, please follow the guide below:

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+Passwords+To+Recover+Admin+User+Rights

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

David Langdon August 6, 2013

I did this and it does not appear to make any difference. I have a local admin user and I went into the database and disabled the Crowd Server (the Internal Directory is index 0) so that I would not be hitting the Crowd server at all (set active to 'F'), but when I log in I still do not see the User Directories entry and when I go to the system plugins I see the Embedded Crowd plugin disabled for some reason - could this be the problem and if so, how do I fix it?

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Just want to clarify that as mentioned by Dave on this comment and our documentation here. It is totally fine for external users to access "User Directories" as long the users has system administrators privilege. It is not just local users that has system administrators privilege that could access "User Directories.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events