Migration to Atlassian Cloud and data location

Jani Hermans February 9, 2021

We are planning to migrate our current small Confluence server (less than 10 users) to Atlassian cloud.

As our company is located in EU we are really interested about data location. If we migrate our confluence server to Atlassian cloud. Where or which location would our data be stored?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Hi @Jani Hermans , 

as the moment, only the Enterprise plan has the option to choose where exactly is your data stored, as explained here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/cloud-data-hosting-regions-979415715.html

That means that if you're on the Free, Standard or Premium plan, you data can be anywhere on Atlassian locations.

However, there is a new feature coming this year that will enable anyone, even on the Free plan, to "buy" the option to choose the data location as explained in the Cloud Roadmap : https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?category=dataManagement&status=inTheWorks

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Hi @Alexis Robert ,

Thanks for your great answer. This is now all clear.

I've also noticed that currently one should have the Enterprise plan to control where the data is stored.

That new feature you told was new to me. I look forward to see when it is available and after that we'll continue with our migration.

--Jani

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Hi @Jani Hermans  Just to add to that:  Your user information is stored in the US, regardless of your data information.  For more information see https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency-and-realms/

Like Jani Hermans likes this

Thank you @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- 

This information is important also.

0 votes
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hi @Jani Hermans @Alexis Robert just wanted to let you know (since I think I've let @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- know in a different Community thread 🙃) that we recently announced that data residency will be included in our Standard and Premium cloud plans later this year, in addition to our Enterprise plan! So Jani, you would be able to move to the Standard plan to use the data residency feature.

To learn more and sign up for updates, visit our page here. You can also view our documentation to learn more about how it works and what data is covered.

To see what else we're working (like additional geographies and functionality) related to data residency, visit our cloud roadmap here

Jani Hermans March 11, 2021

Hi @Kesha Thill . Thank you for these great news! I'll check those and we'll schedule our migration when data residency is available for us.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events