Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Jira and Confluence Server to Cloud

Kamal Jebelli March 27, 2023

Hello Everyone,

We have 50 active users on our Jira server and 42 inactive users. Our license on the cloud is also for 50 active users. When I try to run the migration I receive the error :

“133:We couldn't migrate your users because you have exceeded your user limit for Jira Software. Upgrade your cloud plan and try again.”

I am not seeing any way to just migrate active users or migrate all users with same status as they have on our Jira server, meaning the inactive stay inactive on cloud and don’t count towards our license limit of 50.

Can you please let me know how to proceed ? Is there a way I can run the migration currently or do I need to delete all inactive users from our Jira server and then run the migration ?

Thank you,

Kamal

1 answer

0 votes
Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hi @Kamal Jebelli welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

Inactive users can not login to Jira and do not count for licenses so you are correct. 

If you go to User Management, you will see there is a filter, which will let you show all active or all inactive users. The filter will say: Has site access and No site access.

Do the numbers match the 50 active users you mentioned? 

Kind Regards,

Ash

Hi @Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions ,

Thank you for your message. Yes we have 50 active and 42 inactive on our jira server but on the migration tool it is showing the total meaning 92 users to migrate.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 1.27.42 PM.png

I am guessing that it is trying to migrate all 92 as active users and that is causing the issue ! We have same license, meaning 50 active users on the cloud. 

Any idea how I can run the migration in this case ? Ideally I don't want to delete the inactive users from jira server.

Thanks 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hmm, 

I just had a read of: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/migrate-users-and-groups/#Migratingusersandgroups-Deletedorinactiveusersanddirectories

"Deleted or inactive users and directories
Any deleted users or users in inactive directories that are referenced in your Jira data will appear as Former user after migration. If you need to migrate the references to these users, reactivate them (or the directory) before migrating.

Users with disabled status in your Server site will be migrated as active but without any product access. This means they will not be counted as active Jira users for billing purposes. Learn how users are managed in Cloud"

You might be correct about it trying to migrate all 92 users as active, only to keep them without product access and not count them towards billing, I just can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not you'll need to have 92 licenses allocated for just the migration stage. 

Have you reached out to Atlassian Support to query this? 

KR, 

Ash 

Hi @Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions 

Thanks again for helping out. Yea I read those support documents you referrenced and tried to fiddle with the migration tool but could not make it work.

I was also under the impression it will stay inactive and my migration would run normally.

I do have a Move ticket open with atlassian support but it has not been going that fast and thought I could check with the community for a quicker solution.

Best Regards,

Kamal

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

Hi @Kamal Jebelli 

No problem at all, if you wouldn't mind posting an update from the Atlassian team once they respond to your ticket, I'd really appreciate it (and I'm sure others would for the future). 

Many thanks, 

Ash

@Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions 

Will do and thanks again for your help.

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Hi @Kamal Jebelli any update on that ticket? 

I checked with a colleague of mine who has migrated to cloud recently and they encountered the same issue as during the migration inactive users are treated as active so they required a trial license or something along those lines from Atlassian and they also had a ticket open. Just wondering if your outcome was the same. 

KR, 

Ash

Kamal Jebelli March 29, 2023

Hi @Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions ,

Thanks for your update. I am still waiting to get resolution for my ticket. They are apparently checking our cloud site.... Honestly I am not really sure when my issue will be fixed ! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Hi @Kamal Jebelli , 

I'll see if I can get more details tomorrow from my colleague and get them to look at this issue in particular and revert back if the Atlassian team hasn't resolved it for you by then. 

As always keep me posted if you still need my help. 

Kind Regards, 

Ash 

Kamal Jebelli May 3, 2023

Hi @Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions 

Forgot to update but the issue was fixed by atlassian support by removing the limit on our cloud site for the migration to complete ! Seems to be working fine now.

Like Maria Christensson likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events