Migration Server to Data Center

Dabin Daniel Sundaram April 4, 2023

Hello Community,

We are planning to migrate our Confluence server to the Data Center. We would like to set up minimum two nodes. I have few queries:

1) We have the a VM for our confluence server. To migrate to DC do we have to clone the VM according to the number of the nodes we requires? For ex, if we have VM1, should we clone to VM2 before migrating to the DC?
2) Do the VM gets affected during the DC migration?
3) If we have to clone, how can we configure the nodes? Do we have to configure using the hostname of the cloned VM?

Regards,
Dabin

1 answer

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Dabin Daniel Sundaram ,

there is an how-to article that describes all steps for Server to DC migration https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrate-from-server-to-data-center-203651.html

BTW, you could clone node1 after setting it up as datacenter node. (there are some properties to set for that and you need to set up an NFS shared disk first). VM itselfs is not affected by this type of migration and, finally, I suggest to use hostname (instead of ip address) in order to setup cluster properties.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Dabin Daniel Sundaram April 11, 2023

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_

Thanks for your answer. My query is should we clone the existing VM and then copying the installation directory and local home directories or create a new VM and then copying the installation directory and local home directory is enough?

Regards,
Dabin

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Hi Dabian,

Adding to what @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ mentioned, cloning existing VM is not actually necessary and you can simply do with copying over the local home directory and installation directory from existing VM over to new VM, that should be enough. I would suggest you to go through Adding and Removing Data Center Nodes for more information around this.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

@Dabin Daniel Sundaram , you should also edit cluster node properties on the new node. There are two files containing the specific node name :

• cluster.properties - in the home folder
  • setenv.sh/bat - in the inst/bin/ folder
Like Kishan Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events