cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating spaces from conf 5.7 to existing conf 5.10 instance

Stephane Desrochers September 13, 2017

HI,

HL Summary:

I am trying to migrate a many  spaces from one confluence instance to another. And i am going to do it via space xml export and xml import.

But attachments migration included in the above makes the projet a big challenge. Can we simly copy attachment files "manually"?

More details:...

Both instances of confluence use the file system for attachment. No DB.As you know, Attachments are automatically included into my zip file and there is no option to exclude them from the export.

We experience lots of issues in the process, mostly on the import step. They are: contention, slow down for existinf users, faillure for many reasons (memery error, socket connection timeout,...)

Some spaces have pages and attachments in the thousands! 

I am looking for a more viable option; excluding to do a complete site backup as both systems have evolved concurrently. We really need to add content from the 5.7 version to the 5.10 version. So...

I read that it is possible to simply move the attachment files from one system to the other.

My solution would then (repeat 1 to 3 for each space to migrate)

1 to export spaces to zipped xml.

2 zip the entities.xml and the exportDescriptor.properties (hence filtering out the attachments)

3 import the space (w/out attachments)

4 then copy all attachments from one site to the other.

Would that work ? or copying attachment files works only for site backup 

1 answer

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2023

Hi @Stephane Desrochers ,

your approach seems ok and it should work. After restoring a space in the target instance please copy attachments in the home folder (or shared home in a data center perspective).

Fabio

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events