Migrating spaces between confluence instances of different versions

Michael Jones January 4, 2018

I have a small 10 user instance of Confluence server running on version 6.4.0.

My company has a large Confluence server instance running on version 5.10.8.  

I would like to migrate everything from the small instance into the large instance and shut down the small instance.  However, I thought I read that you can't export and then import into an older version.  Is that true?  If so, any ideas how I can get the data from a 6.4 instance migrated into a 5.10.8 instance?

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

Looks like you get to upgrade your large 5.10 instance. :D

Here is the relevant Atlassian documentation.

While I have full admin control of the small 6.4.0 instance, I have only standard user rights on the corporate 5.10.8 instance.  So, unfortunately, I can't upgrade the large instance.

What other options are there?  Can I move the pages 1 by 1 using webdav or anything like that?  I don't want to have to reformat everything or lose all of the attachments, etc so a simple copy paste won't work.

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Maybe you could try exporting a single page to a Word document and importing it on the older version (https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf510/import-a-word-document-into-confluence-829077444.html), but really it's way too much overhead and importing from word usually requires post-fixing, not to mention the loss of macros and stuff. It's not a realistic option.

I can sense it's something you want to avoid, but upgrading it is probably the only way.

There also was a question of downgrading: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-do-you-downgrade-to-an-earlier-version-of-Confluence/qaq-p/358016

Though - you're looking at too huge a leap with these versions.. I absolutely doubt that you'd be able to downgrade back to 5.10 (It might not be technically possible - I don't know - just found it.)

Vinit Tiwari May 13, 2024

Hi,
Did you solve this issue?
Is it possible to transfer spaces to the lower version of confluence?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events