Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating between instances

Deleted user August 8, 2012

Hi,

We are currently running an older version of Confluence - 3.2 and have set up a new instance with version 4.2.7. I'm looking to test the migration by exporting a space from the old site and importing to the new. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Judy

4 answers

2 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

of course! :)

Since you're upgrading from a 3.2 version, you can refer to the following docs:

Firstly upgrade to 3.5.13 following these instructions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF35/Upgrading+Confluence

After everything's working, you can go straight to 4.2.*: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

Hope that helps! In case you run into any issues during the upgrade process, feel free to raise a support ticket at support.atlassian.com.

Cheers

Thanks for this. Hopefully we don't run into any issues!

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2012

Hi Judy,

It's pretty easy to do that:

# Go to atlassian.com and download Confluence 4.3 ( I prefer to download the standalone version ).
# Extract the zip/tar.gz file of the latest version of Confluence on the place you choose. ( I highly suggest that you create a folder call: Confluence 4.3, and inside of this folder extract the install folder
# Into the extracted folder, open the file confluence-init.properties, which is located at Confluence install directory\confluence\web-inf\classes and edit the line: confluence.home=/usr/local/confluence/home to point to the path where is your old home folder of your Confluence.
# Now start Confluence.
# Confluence will do the upgrade automatically.

I hope this helps

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2012

Hi Judy,

You can choose to export a single space or the entire site, either option will just create an XML backup file, that can be imported on any Confluence instance with the same major version. There will be no impact to the production environment at all. :)

Cheers!

Thanks for this. One last question, have you got some information on the procedure for upgrading from 3.2 to 4.2?

0 votes
Giuliano C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2012
Hello,
You won't be able to import an XML backup from a 3.2 instance to a 4.* since they are not from the same major versions. The way to go would be upgrading your old 3.2 instance to match the new one (4.2.7) and then proceed on exporting/importing the space XML backup.

Hope that makes sense.

Hi,

So not to impact the current Production install (3.2), I was thinking about creating another instance of 3.2 and using this as a test environment. I would then export the data from the current Production site and import it into the test envirnoment. I would then like to upgrade the test envirnonment to the latest version and check that the pages aren't broken.

A question, is the "export" function merely taking a backup of the site? Once I import to the test environment and make some changes, will this have an impact on the current Production install?

Thanks in advance,

Judy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events