Migrating Users between User Directories

It this still valid : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/migrating-users-between-user-directories-426116517.html

For JIRA /Confluence?

If  not - what other options for Migrating local (Internal) users to LDAP/AD

2 answers

I tried the migration feature on my test environment, and it worked as advertised, but what I actually needed was not another internal directory with LDAP authentication, but a fully synced LDAP

So, I didn't actually migrate them. I just made sure the users had the same exact username as the LDAP standard we had, and just added the LDAP directory on top. The users synced like a charm, and inherited their JIRA group memberships from LDAP. With good user and group filters, only the users with a certain LDAP groups were synced, and only groups with "jira" were added to JIRA. It's super important that if you do that, you leave your LDAP directory in higher priority than your internal directory.

So, my answer is, that documentation is true and works correctly if you want to go from internal to internal with LDAP auth. I recall that all users were disabled after the migration though, so I had to re-enable them all.

If you want to switch to a synced LDAP, you might want to just match the existing usernames to your new LDAP format and add your LDAP directory in higher priority. Some people may disagree with the method I'm sure, but it worked fine for us.

0 vote

Hi team,

From Confluence 5.3.x onwards, if you have the same username between users in the LDAP and internal directory, they won't lose the ownership of created contents and permissions. These new versions of Confluence contains a table called user_mapping in the database, which as the name says, maps the username to a hash code. Using the same user name between different user directories should maintain the permissions and ownership.

Nicolas answer is correct smile

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

665 views 21 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you