Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Confluence just with webservice

Fábio Cabrita January 19, 2018

I have set my old Confluence server to do a daily backup with attachments, and I would like to know if it will be just need that to be imported in a new server, where here it will be also XML, or if I will have to export XML apart from 'backup and restore'. Login system is being and will be handle by Jira.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Hello Fábio,

I would recommend following the Production Backup Strategy when backing up Confluence.

• Create a backup or dump of your database using tools provided by your database(warning) To avoid any data inconsistency and corruption, it is recommended to shut down Confluence before creating a database backup or dump.
  • Create a file system backup of your Confluence home directory
  • Create a file system backup of your shared home directory (Clustered instances only)

Which files need to be backed up?

• <conf-home>/confluence.cfg.xml
  • <conf-home>/attachments  (you can exclude extracted text files if space is an issue)

Optional Files:

• <conf-home>/config – if you have modified your ehcache.xml file.
  • <conf-home>/index – if your site is large or reindexing takes a long time – this will avoid the need for a full reindex when restoring.

Confluence can be restored by XML site backup as well but this doesn't work so well with large instances, and we always recommend making a database backup.

I hope that helps but let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Shannon

The daily backup from GUI webservice, includes all data in home directory needed for a restore in a new server? as well as XML?

If yes, it would be just necessary to restore that info in new server when started right?

My daily backups have around ~1,4GB of data with attachments included for 9 users, so I think that I have a very small instance.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Fábio,

Are you referring to the daily backup that Confluence server makes automatically? We don't recommend relying on that for production instances as mentioned on Configuring Backups.

It may work for your instance, if it's so small, but I would still encourage you to make your own backups as well using my tips from earlier.

In theory, if you were to have a full site backup XML, it could restore smaller sites without issue, but again, I would be reluctant to rely on it as my only recovery option.

Shanon

Ok, thank you Shannon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events