Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Confluence Between Servers

Dietmar Simon August 19, 2014

Dear all

Regarding the document "Migrating Confluence between Servers" https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF34/Migrating+Confluence+Between+ServersI would like to ask about the details to move Comfluence to another server. This document describes how to zip the installation and home directories from the origin and to unzip them on the destination server. But there is no description on how to install Confluence on the destination server. Does the destination server need a new installation of Confluence before the directories are moved or afterwards or what is this intended to be done? The document just says in step 14 "to start Confluence" but from what, as it has just described how to move the directories but nothing else.

When I follow the document, I am not able to move Confluence to another machine.

Kind Regards

Bernard

1 answer

0 votes
Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2014

Hi Simon,

And what exact you need?

Only create compression on confluence-app and confluence-data (with permissions!!!). If you using Unix, add to tar p parameter for keeping permissions. More info on net :)

When you copy it and uncompressed then are keeped permissions, you dont need to install all. Maybe only watch about env settings (starting service after start of server etc).

Or another option is that you will install trial of confluence (new install) and then you repaste it of you original confluence. Datas about licence and all are in DB and in XMLs files.

If you are running HTTPS and on Unix, dont forget to create keystore and change keystore password in XML :)

And finally if you changing DNS, rewrite it in config files and mainly in administrations (Base URL).

I think then it will work!

You are creating only duplicate, so then you will have backup on original server :)

We are using Confluence on Windows.

So we just need to copy and unzip the Confluence directories and then we can use Confluence on the new server, without installing it with the setup.exe?

Well, I will try this, also I will edit the config files which are described in that article.

Kind Regards

Bernard

Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2014

On windows it should work. There is no permissions limits and only set Tomcat, but if there was the same strcuture...it should work.

You can try it, because production version is original and you creating only duplicate.

Now I did this as described. I copied the Confluence folders from the origin (Windows 32bit) machine, first to a testing environment, on Windows 64bit. This means, the Confluence directories are to be moved from the "program files" folder to the "program files (x86)" folder. So I changed this location in the confluence-init.properties and in the setenv.bat. Then I started Confluence with the start-confluence.bat and when I connect to Confluence I receive HTTP 404 "The requested resource () is not available" from the Apache/Tomcat web server. So far the web server as such seems to work, but the content cannot get accessed.

Aleš Laňar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2014

hmmm.. You migrate it from 32 to 64? It could be problem, I am using only Linux versions, but maybe there are few differences between app for 32 and 64. Then you have to create a new installation of 64bit and then overwrite with you data from origin.

But if you ran it but you get this message, it looks like problem with setenv.sh or mainly look at server.xml and web.xml and check config (these xmls are in confluence-app/conf for settings ssh and app conf are in confluence-app/atlassian-confluence/conf).

And what do you have in log file about it?

Dietmar Simon August 24, 2014

When I copy the Confluence folders into the "Program Files" folder instead of the "Program Files (x86)" folder, and set up Confluence as service, it seems to work. So I assume there are more files to edit than just the confluence-init.properties. However, I can start Confluence only when I have set up Confluence as service. I cannot start Confluence with the start-confluence.bat.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events