Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Confluence 3.5 to XWiki

Deleted user August 15, 2013

I know it's cheeky to ask here, but has anyone done this? I can find conversions in the other direction, eg using Atlassian's UWC, XWIki to Confluence, which gives me clues on what to look out for, but nothing much on abandoning Confluence.

I'm not taking this decision lightly (sorry, Atlassian). Having played around with an OnDemand version of Confluence 5, I think the developer community currently using our 3.5 Confluence will lynch me if we move to the "rich-text-only" editor. It's going to be so much work to migrate from 3.5 to 5, and such a shock that we might as well go for something that's (a) free, (b) future-proofed against product changes we don't like and (c) continues to offer *easy* plain-text editing as well as a wysiwyg editor.

XWiki seems to offer everything we need - including the ability to natively edit either Markdown or Confluence's own mostly-discarded wiki markup page by page.

I would be interested to know if anyone's done this and how they got on. We would still use JIRA, so connectivity with JIRA is important.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2013

Hi Kathleen,

Honestly, I believe there is no tested method to convert from confluence to XWiki, however goggling the web, I've found some pages that might be helpful to you.

Here and here.

I hope this helps you. :)

Regards,

Rodrigo

Deleted user August 18, 2013

Thanks for looking those up for me, Rodrigo. I should have mentioned that I had already found those links -- that's really all that turns up on the web. I was hoping to find someone who had done it.

As I said, this is not a decision that I would ever recommend without due cause. I love Confluence. It's such a pity that Atlassian has abandoned easy plain-text editing. (Please don't tell me about the XHTML-flavoured editor. That's not easy and it's not an answer).

Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2014

Hello @Rodrigo Adami , Can we migrate xwiki to confluence?

0 votes
Deleted user November 28, 2014

Sorry I just noticed your question. Have a look for Atlassian's Universal Wiki Converter. Just be aware that, generally, conversion scripts will only do about 80% of the content well. You will always have to "tidy up" the last bits. I would convert a few pages, see where problems occur and then look at how you can fix them - generally, fixing them in the source is better than trying to clean them up afterwards. hth.

0 votes
Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2014

Hello @Kathleen James, Can we migrate xwiki to confluence?

0 votes
chad October 24, 2013

Kathleen - Were you able to do it?

Deleted user October 24, 2013

Hi Chad. Not yet. Other projects got in the way, but it's still in the pipeline to do. I will definitely report back here when we get the time and resources to try.

In the meantime, I have subscribed to XWiki Users (users@xwiki.org).

The community there is very responsive to technical questions. Unfortunately, most of those threads are "over my head" because I'm not very technical myself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events