Migrate spaces from Confluence download to OnDemand

When I go to import a space into Confluence OnDemand it tells me;

Atlassian OnDemand can only import Confluence space backups from the same major version of Confluence. The current Confluence OnDemand version is 4.3, so backups can only be imported from Confluence 4.3.x.

Our download install of Confluence is on the latest production release 4.2. Does this mean I need to upgrade to 4.3 RC1 before I can export the space for importing into Confluence OnDemand?

2 answers

1 accepted

For my migration, I did the following:

1. installed a local installation of Confluence at the same level as the production instance
  2. saved the spaces from production
  3. restored them on the the local installation
  4. upgraded the local installation to match the level of onDemand instance
  5. saved the spaces from local installation
  6. restored the spaces onto onDemand

In my case, I had over 30 spaces to move over, so most of the steps were automated with exportSpace and restoreExport from Confluence Command Line Interface

Hi Neil,

Yea, that's absolutely right, mate. :)

Cheers,

Justin.

So I'm forced to install a RC on Prod to facilitate a migration to OnDemand. Not a practice I'm comfortable with.

Why is 3.4 still RC for download if its the current version on OnDemand? Is the version on OnDemand also RC?

Hi Neil,

Yes, I would have to say that the Confluence OnDemand version is indeed on RC. The reason why we release 4.3 in OnDemand is to allow our customers to have the latest release for general usage before the general release. Rest assure that the RC release is more stable than the EAP one.

The 4.3 for general public download is on EAP release, and is definitely not recommended for production use just yet. What I would recommend is to clone your production, and then upgrade the clone to 4.3 EAP for the export of spaces.

Cheers,

Justin.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

91 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you